Help please with first hatch

Ok. Great. Thank you! I will keep an eye on him over the next hour or so. Fingers crossed! :)

wait, i think he may be out!!!! :)

Me again - I have a new problem now . . . this fella has been zipping for hours, about 5 hours roughly and my concern now is he's flipped the egg over so he's kind of upside down. I've attached 2 pics - so the part he's zipped is now on the bottom of the hatcher . . . is he going to be able to get out like this or should i help him out?
If he's actively zipping (not just punching bigger hole) that shouldn't take more than an hour, tops... 5 hours of zipping is a long time, imo... if he's halfway zipped, I'd just pop the top off, he might be sticking... don't pull him out, just finish the zip and remove the top... but that's what I would do...

If he's actively zipping (not just punching bigger hole) that shouldn't take more than an hour, tops... 5 hours of zipping is a long time, imo... if he's halfway zipped, I'd just pop the top off, he might be sticking... don't pull him out, just finish the zip and remove the top... but that's what I would do...

That's what I would have done also.

Did he get out? @lj2016

Last edited:
He is out guys!!! :) :) :) Sorry for the delayed reply as I had a mad dash to the shop to get materials, I've had to set up another brooder as my other duckling is so big now I don't want him to stomp the new one. Also in the hatcher now is another egg that pipped yesterday, made that hole slightly larger this morning and then hasn't moved since - no response to noise or light. No sign of it starting to zip. You think when I take this new guy out later tonight I should maybe chip away at that egg a bit and see if it's still alive in there?

Ok great thanks I'll try that later tonight when I take the new one out. They never seem to fluff up in the hatcher so I'll take him out on 3-4 hrs, just getting the new brooder temp to settle at about 90°

No, literally as I posted I walked back in the room and he was out. I then realised there's no way the tiny thing could go in with the week old ones. I was so worried as he took so long zipping. None of my eggs seem to follow the 'norm' so far in terms of hatching - it's making me a nervous wreck! lol

Back
Top Bottom