HELP!! Prolapse?! Big red thing coming out of the Cloaca on my hen! Pic included

Bella the Chicken Lover

Come to Jesus, Where All is Love
Feb 13, 2023
The Avengers Tower
Petunia has a big red thing coming out of her cloaca. What is it, what can I do? She's been laying big eggs, almost the size of my hand recently, they are double yokers, does this have anything to do with this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-13 100902.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-13 100902.png
    260.3 KB · Views: 109
What @Isabella6Storm4 said is pretty correct. Start by cleaning it up by giving her a bath in epsom salt, using Preparation H or something similar like that and clean the prolapse up with it. Then put a plastic glove on and see if you can push it back in. If it doesn't go in after three times give it a day and try again.
Also, you should isolate her from the rest of the flock because the other chickens will peck at it and break it open.

What @Isabella6Storm4 said is pretty correct. Start by cleaning it up by giving her a bath in epsom salt, using Preparation H or something similar like that and clean the prolapse up with it. Then put a plastic glove on and see if you can push it back in. If it doesn't go in after three times give it a day and try again.
Also, you should isolate her from the rest of the flock because the other chickens will peck at it and break it open.
Thank you so much, I'll try that :)

Get some extra calcium into her asap. Calcium is extremely important to help with retention and contractions when there's a prolapse.

1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow. If you don't have Calcium Citrate, you can give 1 TUMS.
Give the Calcium daily for a few days.

IF she's not lethargic, then a good soaking in epsom salts can help with swelling.
Keep the exposed tissue moist with ointment, oil or honey.

Can you feel an egg? If not, then you can try to gently push the tissue back inside, but it may come back out due to swelling.

Make sure to keep the prolapse moist as well.
I will, thank you.
Get some extra calcium into her asap. Calcium is extremely important to help with retention and contractions when there's a prolapse.

1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow. If you don't have Calcium Citrate, you can give 1 TUMS.
Give the Calcium daily for a few days.

IF she's not lethargic, then a good soaking in epsom salts can help with swelling.
Keep the exposed tissue moist with ointment, oil or honey.

Can you feel an egg? If not, then you can try to gently push the tissue back inside, but it may come back out due to swelling.
Ok.

She just layed an egg, I have her cage set up, so now I'm going to do what you all told me to do. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom