HELP!! Prolapse?! Big red thing coming out of the Cloaca on my hen! Pic included

Update:
She laid this egg a few hours ago:
Screenshot 2024-02-13 121026.png

I soaked her for about 10 minutes, and then I put Neosporin on it, but half of it was crusty. When I tried wiping it away, it started bleeding. Thats when I put some honey on it, and put her back in her cage, not knowing what to do.
I didn't want to try pushing the prolapse in, because all of the pictures I've seen of prolapses, they didn't have this crust, so now I'm stuck again. Any advice on this would be very helpful and appreciated
Screenshot 2024-02-13 121402.png
Screenshot 2024-02-13 121449.png

I will, thank you.

Ok.

She just layed an egg, I have her cage set up, so now I'm going to do what you all told me to do. Thank you!!
Update:
She laid this egg a few hours ago:
View attachment 3746950
I soaked her for about 10 minutes, and then I put Neosporin on it, but half of it was crusty. When I tried wiping it away, it started bleeding. Thats when I put some honey on it, and put her back in her cage, not knowing what to do.
I didn't want to try pushing the prolapse in, because all of the pictures I've seen of prolapses, they didn't have this crust, so now I'm stuck again. Any advice on this would be very helpful and appreciated
View attachment 3746955View attachment 3746956
Large egg!

I'd give her a good cleanup/soak if she's not lethargic. Keep the tissue moist with ointment/oil or honey.

Since it's crusty, it may be dried urates or the vent was damaged a bit by picking or could have torn a little when straining to expel the egg.
You're going to have to treat her daily until the tissue heals up and the crusties start to slough off.
This can take days to a couple of weeks, just depends on the buildup/course of healing.

The most important thing is to see that she's pooping o.k., gets the Calcium daily and keep any exposed tissue moist so it doesn't dry out.

She will need to be separated so others can't pick her vent.

Does she have lice or mites? Encourage her to eat her normal feed and drink too, she needs to be hydrated and eating well to help promote healing.

Large egg!

I'd give her a good cleanup/soak if she's not lethargic. Keep the tissue moist with ointment/oil or honey.

Since it's crusty, it may be dried urates or the vent was damaged a bit by picking or could have torn a little when straining to expel the egg.
You're going to have to treat her daily until the tissue heals up and the crusties start to slough off.
This can take days to a couple of weeks, just depends on the buildup/course of healing.

The most important thing is to see that she's pooping o.k., gets the Calcium daily and keep any exposed tissue moist so it doesn't dry out.

She will need to be separated so others can't pick her vent.

Does she have lice or mites? Encourage her to eat her normal feed and drink too, she needs to be hydrated and eating well to help promote healing.
So I can't push the prolapse back in until the crusties go away?
How often would you say I have to soak her in Epsom salts, and how long?

Ok. I will definitely do that, thank you so much

So I can't push the prolapse back in until the crusties go away?
How often would you say I have to soak her in Epsom salts, and how long?

Ok. I will definitely do that, thank you so much

Yes, you can try pushing it back in with the crusty material, just clean her up really well first.
Often when there's damage and a crust like that, the tissue will not stay in. Once the tissue heals and the crust sloughs off the hen is able to retain the tissue.

I pushed the prolapse back in, kept it moist, and it just popped back right out. I tried a second time(feeling an egg in the process) , and it came out again. I held the prolapse in for 5 minutes each time. I am stumped

I pushed the prolapse back in, kept it moist, and it just popped back right out. I tried a second time(feeling an egg in the process) , and it came out again. I held the prolapse in for 5 minutes each time. I am stumped
If you felt an egg then the tissue is not likely going back in until she lays that egg. Was she able to pass it?

You are giving her Extra Calcium daily correct?

Once she's expelled this egg, then you can clean her up and try again, but as previously posted, sometimes the tissue won't stay in and you'll have to tend to her daily. Sometimes these things take a while to resolve.

you can try pushing it back in with the crusty material, just clean her up really well first.
Often when there's damage and a crust like that, the tissue will not stay in. Once the tissue heals and the crust sloughs off the hen is able to retain the tissue.

If you felt an egg then the tissue is not likely going back in until she lays that egg. Was she able to pass it?

You are giving her Extra Calcium daily correct?

Once she's expelled this egg, then you can clean her up and try again, but as previously posted, sometimes the tissue won't stay in and you'll have to tend to her daily. Sometimes these things take a while to resolve.
Yes she was

Yes I do

Okay, thank you for your help.

I went out this morning to check on Petunia, treated her, and held her prolapse in for 15 minutes like I have been. Same thing with lunch time, and when I went out around 6, I found something horrible. A prolapsed egg. I immediately put her in a bucket of warm water with Epsom salts in it. I watched a quick video on what to do, and in the video, it said to gently but firmly push the eggs in, which would make the opening wider so the egg could come out. I took Petunia out of her bath, and I was able to see what was going on. It was very grotesque. She was wheezing, and I could see her making an effort to push the egg out, and every time she pushed, it started bleeding. I tried assessing the situation, feeling around, and since the egg clogged up her vent, of course, I felt poop behind the egg. The egg was also sideways in the vent! I tried wiggling the egg around, but it was sticking to the vent, because of dried blood. I had to get a wet washcloth and loosen it up a bit with Protonium Jelly, after that I was able to move it a bit. I wiggled it, and it kept bleeding. Petunia had been trying to push this egg out the whole time, I felt so bad for her, she was clearly in a lot of pain. I manipulated the egg to come out somehow, which took me about 15 more minutes, and Petunia was exhausted. Her Prolapse was all swollen, and when I pushed it back in, her vent was super wide, and Petunia has been clearly in a lot of pain, and so its really hard to make this decision, but I think I'll have to cull her. She also isn't eating or drinking, although I try to help her. Is there anything I can do? Am I making the right choice? Thank you very much in advance

I went out this morning to check on Petunia, treated her, and held her prolapse in for 15 minutes like I have been. Same thing with lunch time, and when I went out around 6, I found something horrible. A prolapsed egg. I immediately put her in a bucket of warm water with Epsom salts in it. I watched a quick video on what to do, and in the video, it said to gently but firmly push the eggs in, which would make the opening wider so the egg could come out. I took Petunia out of her bath, and I was able to see what was going on. It was very grotesque. She was wheezing, and I could see her making an effort to push the egg out, and every time she pushed, it started bleeding. I tried assessing the situation, feeling around, and since the egg clogged up her vent, of course, I felt poop behind the egg. The egg was also sideways in the vent! I tried wiggling the egg around, but it was sticking to the vent, because of dried blood. I had to get a wet washcloth and loosen it up a bit with Protonium Jelly, after that I was able to move it a bit. I wiggled it, and it kept bleeding. Petunia had been trying to push this egg out the whole time, I felt so bad for her, she was clearly in a lot of pain. I manipulated the egg to come out somehow, which took me about 15 more minutes, and Petunia was exhausted. Her Prolapse was all swollen, and when I pushed it back in, her vent was super wide, and Petunia has been clearly in a lot of pain, and so its really hard to make this decision, but I think I'll have to cull her. She also isn't eating or drinking, although I try to help her. Is there anything I can do? Am I making the right choice? Thank you very much in advance
:hugs I'm so sorry!
Nice job getting the egg out.

Only you can determine the extent of damage, the pain and suffering she's in. If you feel this isn't fixable, the of course putting her down is the right thing to do.

It's very sad when this happens. The only time I ever had to put a "healthy" hen down was due to prolapse. It was severely damaged as well. I know you won't make a hasty decision, look everything and once you make your decision (treat or cull) stick with it and don't second guess yourself.

:hugs I, too, have had to put a hen down due to prolapse. It was not easy but I had to do what was best for my hen. In my case, she was missing at bedtime and I did not find her till the next day. By that time there was no saving her. My heart goes out to you. Whatever you decide, we are here for you. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom