Help sex my ambiguous Cream Legbar day-old

They are hens. You can tell because the stripes by their eyes going out like eye liner, but that's only with cream legbars. If they are mix breeded that they might not be hens. But if they are pure bread than there is a 99% chance they are hens. Someone told us that our chicks we bought were pure bread cream legbars. He also said they were hens, because they all had stripes by their eyes. They were all roosters. Don't get worried that they are roosters if they are pure bread.

They are hens. You can tell because the stripes by their eyes going out like eye liner, but that's only with cream legbars. If they are mix breeded that they might not be hens. But if they are pure bread than there is a 99% chance they are hens. Someone told us that our chicks we bought were pure bread cream legbars. He also said they were hens, because they all had stripes by their eyes. They were all roosters. Don't get worried that they are roosters if they are pure bread.
Hi Mattmr7 -
sorry that you got males instead of females. A better way to check on the gender of Cream Legbars is not the eye-liner, but the dorsal stripes and the head V. If the chick has a very distinct V on the top of the forehead (small end of V by beak) - and a dark stripe travels from there over the rump -- with lighter chipmunk stripes beside it -- then female. Even if a frosting of light down appears on the top of the head, and it is completely contained within the V, then female.

When the V has a break at the back of the neck, and the dorsal stripes tend to get blurry, or a little less sharp and distinct - then it is a male. -- The other indicator of a male cream legbar is the blob of light down - white, cream or light color - on the top of his head. Males in my line also will have a tiny white ring around the eyes, where with females their dark eyeliner goes all the way to the edge of the eye.
:O)
ETA - see the photos in post #8 of this thread, really good examples of what I described if you look closely.

Last edited:
I know this is an older thread, but hopefully it is still going. My first hatch of Crested Cream Legbars. I thought I could tell sex on each, but now not so sure. Opinions please?

The whole group:

Possible boys:

This one has dark stripes with brown hue and eye liner. I would guess female, but there is a small yellow dot on her head?

Chick3 male/female??

Male 1?

Chick5:Male 2?

Chick 4: Male?

The other chicks (2,6,7) I am fairly certain are females, correct?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Last edited:
I know this is an older thread, but hopefully it is still going. My first hatch of Crested Cream Legbars. I thought I could tell sex on each, but now not so sure. Opinions please?

The whole group:

Possible boys:

This one has dark stripes with brown hue and eye liner. I would guess female, but there is a small yellow dot on her head?

Chick3 male/female??

Male 1?

Chick5:Male 2?

Chick 4: Male?

The other chicks (2,6,7) I am fairly certain are females, correct?

Thanks everyone in advance!

I see 4 females, 3 males...

Hello chicken-y peeps.
These are my first chickens so I'm hoping you guys can help me with this :)
I got 2 cream legbars and they are both supposed to be female (I really hope they are) but they look so different I'd value your opinions. They are a week old. Chick 1 is feathering out much faster and has a blue ish hue to shoulders.

This is my clb roo. Breeder said his coloring is off and ended up culling the parents from his breeding stock. So I probably won't breed him. I am supposed to get a replacement, but the kids love this little guy, so he stays too.

I pretty much already know I've got a cockerel on my hands, but I wanted to share this interesting turn out i had with my CCL chick. She (he) has all the marking of a female, but yet at 4 weeks old out of no where appears the big pink comb. So, unless anyone has heard of a pullet getting its comb in this early... I was fooled by an "imposter chick".
They are out there, please check that your breeders have the correct parents to breed from. I believe this happened to me when I found out the father of this too was a mix and not pure.
Check out the pics, shows growth over 4 weeks time (the dark chick with the stripe)

Your bird isn't a clb and therefore not autosexing.
You're right, people should always check the parent stock and if possible, offspring from previous matings to ensure they are getting the correct breed and not just a mongrel.

Back
Top Bottom