Help sex my ambiguous Cream Legbar day-old

Hello guys, newbie here wanting a bit of help sexing the day-old Cream Legbar on the left here. It looks pretty chipmunk like to me, has mascara and the back markings are much darker than my previous males, so I'm rather hoping it turns out to be a female. It does have a slight yellow spot far back on its head. There is no doubt that the one on the right is a female.

Hi Crofts
welcome-byc.gif

Tough call -- and a bit difficult to tell from the shot -- because the dorsal stripes are diffuse on the chick on the left --- and because the yellow patch appears to protrude out of the head color stripe I'm going to vote that your chick on the left is a male......

ETA top down view of the head may help a little bit -- since the head is going to be the key to gender in this case IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks ChicKat. I am tending towards a male myself now. I guess I'm just hoping it isn't, because the last time I hatched 6 Cream Legbar eggs I got 5 males. This time I put 6 eggs in the incubator and only 3 hatched - one definite male, one definite female and this one. Guess I've had more than my fair share of males hatch out!

Head down view:

Thanks ChicKat. I am tending towards a male myself now. I guess I'm just hoping it isn't, because the last time I hatched 6 Cream Legbar eggs I got 5 males. This time I put 6 eggs in the incubator and only 3 hatched - one definite male, one definite female and this one. Guess I've had more than my fair share of males hatch out!

Head down view:
Definitely male..... sorry for your M/F ratios. -- if the light head patch was along the dorsal line and smaller -- like a faint touch with a paint brush -- AND completely contained within the dark V then it could be female -- but this a going to grow up to be a cockerel for you.

Last edited:

Hi, I purchased some cream Legbar eggs for my broody hen and 5 successfully hatched on Friday. I believe I have 3 females (striped) and one male (cream spot on head), however I also have a yellow chick which I have no idea is male or female. There is a line on the chicks head and faint striping on the back, but otherwise yellow and completely different to the other chicks, despite all being hatched from blue eggs. Very sweet, but any ideas??

Hi, I purchased some cream Legbar eggs for my broody hen and 5 successfully hatched on Friday. I believe I have 3 females (striped) and one male (cream spot on head), however I also have a yellow chick which I have no idea is male or female. There is a line on the chicks head and faint striping on the back, but otherwise yellow and completely different to the other chicks, despite all being hatched from blue eggs. Very sweet, but any ideas??
Congratulations on your pretty chicks! Yes, I see 3 females and one male with white head spot. Your light chick may be a recessive white CL -- I'm not familiar with them from my own CLs -- and haven't had one. There is a thread about them. Perhaps you could ask the source from which you got the hatching eggs if they have recessive white's genetics in their flock!.

Thank you for your reply...very grateful! :)

I presume I will not be able to tell whether the young chick is male or female until much older. I'm not looking to breed from the chicks, my aim was to simply allow my lovely speckled hen to finally have some chicks, because she has been going on and off broody for the 5 years I've had her....

Thanks once again...

Thank you for your reply...very grateful!
smile.png

I presume I will not be able to tell whether the young chick is male or female until much older. I'm not looking to breed from the chicks, my aim was to simply allow my lovely speckled hen to finally have some chicks, because she has been going on and off broody for the 5 years I've had her....

Thanks once again...
People who have the recessive whites say that they can tell gender....so perhaps check with them?? If her he V is clear and uninterrupted - it could be that you have a female. ;o)

This is such a helpful thread! I just hatched some Cream Legbar chicks and thought sexing them would be easy but there are definitely some that aren't as obvious! :)

Back
Top Bottom