help...she'll stuck

Sheenadel

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2015
So ine chick hatched...but there is a quarter sized piece of she'll stuck on its back...he hatched sometime last night had huge progress by 11pm..not this morning it's hobbling around with this piece of shell attached. . Should I remove it or wait...so far this is number 2 of 30...lock down started on saturday...im thinking I won't see anymore hatching...there are no outer signs...we had candles them all early on and thought we seen veins..I'm loosing hope and just want at least 1 to survive. ..thanks

The piece of shell isn't too much of a risk to the chick. I'd leave it alone for several more hours. It may pop off itself if it's not too glued on, but if not, it's something that can be easily remedied later.

If lockdown started on Saturday, what day is today on your incubation calendar? If you tap on the incubator do you see any movement or hear any cheeping?

So ine chick hatched...but there is a quarter sized piece of she'll stuck on its back...he hatched sometime last night had huge progress by 11pm..not this morning it's hobbling around with this piece of shell attached. . Should I remove it or wait...so far this is number 2 of 30...lock down started on saturday...im thinking I won't see anymore hatching...there are no outer signs...we had candles them all early on and thought we seen veins..I'm loosing hope and just want at least 1 to survive. ..thanks
It doesn't pose a threat to the chick, but if he is newly hatched and still wet/damp it maybe easier to remove it now than to wait until it is dry and have it glued to it's back by the drying of the membrane. There are no pips so there is no threat (not that I feel there is at hatch either) of harming the other eggs to remove it before it dries. I am calculating that hatch day should have been Tuesday? You are probably right to think that he will be the only one, but I would most definitely give it another 24 hours from the time he hatched to see if there is anymore then I would candle and check for life in the others. I don't count on any, personally, after day 24, but you never know. I do recommend that you might want to try to pick up a friend for him at the feed store or local farm if you can find one, as it is better for the chick (and the human mommy) if he is not lonely. I raised an only chick from my first hatch, they are quite time consuming of you want to keep them happy and quiet...lol

Last edited:
The piece of shell isn't too much of a risk to the chick.  I'd leave it alone for several more hours.  It may pop off itself if it's not too glued on, but if not, it's something that can be easily remedied later.

If lockdown started on Saturday, what day is today on your incubation calendar?  If you tap on the incubator do you see any movement or hear any cheeping?

I put the eggs in on the 1st..We candles then on the 10th and saw veins..its our first time

Back
Top Bottom