Help with getting the hatch right

I have had my first duckling trying to push out of its shell but when it did there was a little blood and a small amount of the egg sack was still out so I put it back in its egg and put it in a cup for a bit to absorb the yoke is this right or should I have just left it.

Yay I have my first hatch ed duckling and 4 more have got their heads out and are trying to push out but sadly nothing from the upside down egg.

Yes will put pictures up once the next 4 are out of the bator they are trying to push out of their shell but I have put them all in cups because they all still look like they have a small amount of yolk left and I don't want to take any chances. It's just strange that they all haven't absorbed all yolk but are in a hurry to get out.

Well , I.learned a big lesson with this duckling , gig, first I would like to.point out my mistake, my wife handed me some eggs and when I saw them.I imeadeay was suspicion because the air sack and color of egg was very different, even though it was my first duck ever I should have knon better and I should of candled them, unfortunately I didn't candle until day 5 and the baby was pecking at the shell, I should of raised humidity from 55 to 65/70 imeadetly, then I ignored my intuition, after having seen a few late Hatchers die of exahstion from battling the egg for too long, and me not helping for sticking with the unwritten rule of never to.intervene, I'm glad that I.learned from those unfortunate deaths and made the decision to intervene, I had never done it, let alone a duck, all I did was raise the humidity above 80, to 100, then pulled him out n made a hole, then set him.back in a few hours, no movement at all, so I waited 30 min for signs of life, but nothing, so I knee he was to weak and his 2 day supply of food was up, so me and me wife, actually she did it she has a more steady hand than I do, but I guided her, god guided me. And put him back in at the right times, every time he went back.in I.already had some high/warm water ready, we had to do it thrice, but eventually he's weak, but sitting upright, we got him halfway out wings and head then set him back at about 11pm, I watched him closely till 3,am, lots of praying too, and right know he's sitting upright, nibbles and pecks at the feed, and has had a taste of water, I added a pinch of sugar being that I knew he would be weak and groggy, and so far hes doing, OK, all I can do is watch him.continuously and make sure his feed is soggy, and water is full I'm.planing on switching him to another battor, he's not fully dried and fluffy to my liking, but I dropped the humidity to 40, if your new at this, and have witnessed these baby struggle , use your intuition, obviously taking all the necessary percautions, I made it clear to my wife never to bring an egg either with out knowing his incubation date or from day one, I.pray all goes well, but even if it doesn't I give thanks that I got to meet the three day fighter.

Katie if the cup is big enough for him to comfortably wiggle his way out of the lower half of the shell then there should be no.problem, but if its too small, blood is normal even when they hatch strong, or weak, but its not normal.to help peel.off the embryo and see the embryo wasn't devolped properly and let him bleed, keep an eye on him and use your intuition,

Yes the cup is actually a shallow flat kids bowl and is just the size to keep them comfortable but it has a lot of room if it wiggles it can get out. They are all peeping loudly every now and then to let me know they are OK but if you look inside their shell I can still see a small yolk. So will just leave them a bit longer.

Update : good news, I had been watching him since 730am and he looked lethargic and weak, but I found a video on YouTube of another duckling calling out for his momma, and put it on replay, and since the first time he heard it his whole emotion changed, he's out n about, even took more sips of water, after that I left him alone to get some sleep, but I.left him a bright led light on the outside of the battor right where his food n water is, so even if the bulb goes off he can find his grub, gig.

Back
Top Bottom