Help with getting the hatch right

Duckling won't need water to bathe in, but they do need drinking water deep enough to get their whole bills in, to keep their nares cleared out.

That is interesting WV. For some reason I thought it was recommended to leave them in the incubator for 24 hours. Seems like it takes hours for mine to dry out - at least 12 or more. Hum.... good information from you - again.

Thanks wv, luckily his water recipient is the top of the 5 gallon water bottles so his bill goes in about twice as much. I transferred him about an hour ago even though he was only born at 12pm last night but was pretty much dried up for the most part, funny thing, first I put a YouTube video so he can hear the audio of other ducklings and his energy changed quickly, then about an hour later I put another video of ducks quacking, and the ducks in the video were all in a medium pond, and this bby duckling couldn't even see the video but about three minutes into hearing swimming and quacking he goes and puts both feet in his drinking bowl and sits down , I thought that was cute. But amazing!

Last edited:
That is interesting WV.  For some reason I thought it was recommended to leave them in the incubator for 24 hours.  Seems like it takes hours for mine to dry out - at least 12 or more.  Hum....  good information from you - again.

It is recommended by some, but I don't listen very well :D I do what works for me, as I think everyone should do what works for them. There are those that say not to assist a hatcher, and not to open the incubator in the last 3 days for anything too! I see reasons on both sides of the coin, and don't fault anyone for their ways, but my eggs are my decisions.

I have 2 ducklings left to leave their eggs they keep kicking out but they still have a stringy bit of umbilical stuck should I carry on and leave them or should I try and separate then from the shell. they are drying out but still attached.

Katie246, as long as you have no other pips and everyone is half way out, just lower the humidity slightly by about 3% so they dry off faster is it still or forced air, and as long as they have no shell around them they can't get shrink wrapped so if you need to take anyone out you can open the bator, they will dry out just give them time if your gonna open the bator grab a ball of paper towels and dab up dome of the water that's left, it should speed up the drying process, that's what I did with this baby, and he dried up faster but don't touch the cord or they may bleed to you know what. So take a deep breath, they are out, relax, they know when to detach officially, the biggest test has passed

Last edited:
Just finished seeing all the different types of domesticated ducks, ... I want em all, especially the vit bau with his father collar :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom