Help With Red Mites

Padfoot417

Chirping
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Massachusetts
Hey all just a quick question on mite control. It's definitely just plain old red mites, but I was wondering the best method for getting them off birds? Is something like dusting with Diatom the best way? Or are other powders/dusts any better? I've been doing some research, just wondering everyone's go to method for these little buggers. I'd rather buy as few products as possible so figured it wise to find out what people have found works best. Thanks!

Hi Padfoot, I have used many things and my sure fire method is using Frontline. (Good for 30 days) Then we use permethrin to spray the roost. (diluted)

Permethrin dust or spray works fine, and is approved for use in poultry. Just wear a N95 dust mask to protect yourself, and powder or spray the floor and walls if possible. At least powder the floor under fresh shavings, and the roosts. Frontline is a wonderful product for dogs and cats, but NOT for any food animals! Mary

I would recommend using DE in the coop, and run. I also use apple cider vinegar in the water as it helps deter away mites and flea (Have used this method on dogs, and apple cider vinegar is natural and safe. Will also help with intestinal worms)

Hi Padfoot, yes. I do not use the Frontline that comes in the square packaging and holds individual doses . This kind is thick . The type we use comes in a spray bottle. It is a more diluted form and is not thick. We do not eat any of the eggs for 14 days after application. It is probably a good idea to not eat any eggs for 14 days no matter what you decide to apply to your birds. I hope all is well there.

Back
Top Bottom