Help with sexing please!

iskris

Hatching
Jul 6, 2016
Canada
Hello everyone
I have six chickens in my small flock, all around four months in age. I have one Ameraucana who I am pretty sure is a roo - he used to try crowing, but that has stopped... Does that mean he's actually a girl??

I also have a buff Orpington that I was assured is a girl - but she is displaying some boyish behaviour: fighting with my roo, huge legs, some questionable looking feathers around the neck....

And lastly, I have two black copper Marans, one has tail feathers and the other doesn't... Is one a boy?

Thank you all in advance.

I agree with oldenlikesdogs. The first one of the amerucana looks like a roo. We have a Favacauna (amarucana and faverolle mix) who is 3 and a half months and doesn't have that tail plumage. So I would say a boy (though don't take my word, I'm still a bit new).
I wouldn't know about the last three...

Hope this helps
thumbsup.gif

Thanks everyone! I had a sinking feeling they were boys:( -- I unfortunately have neighbours.
Neither one of them have been crowing - Rufus used to, but not recently. Biff, never heard him try. Does the crowing always happen?

Last edited:
Mine have just started crowing at 4 months of age and a few haven't yet, so I would expect them to start within the next month.

Back
Top Bottom