Help with the design of a chicken coop

Here is the area looking down the side of the house, showing the ground slope.
20180425_135624.jpg

Here is the area I need to put the coop in along the retaining wall.

The rock pile is really the only area where a coop could go safely and securely, as far as I can see.
20180425_135558.jpg

Here is the area looking down the wall behind the house, showing the ground slope.
20180425_135607.jpg

I hope this helps. There are no distance to building conflicts anywhere in my back yard.

There will also soon be a 7 comb bee hive in the yard producing honey.

Why not do a 6x12 run under a 3x12 house? I wouldn’t touch the rock. It will be protected from sunlight by the coop and the wall to prevent weed growth, and the chickens will likely eat whatever pops up.

Why not do a 6x12 run under a 3x12 house? I wouldn’t touch the rock. It will be protected from sunlight by the coop and the wall to prevent weed growth, and the chickens will likely eat whatever pops up.

That was the basic idea. Taking into consideration that weeds come up in that bed all the time and that I use roundup, I didn't want to hurt the chickens with that. Also, with the rocks being uneven, snakes, mice, and rats could find their way in. That's why I decided to do an elevated run and coop.

Now I can do this: I can take all that stone out, and put it around the house in areas where it is presently located. I can replace the big stone with pea gravel, which would be just as good for drainage and possibly better on the chicken's feet. However I am still concerned with the chicken poop and it causing weeds to prop up. Stone has to be there for drainage. No getting around that.

I'm confused as to where you want to put the coop----on the side of your house (pic #1) or in the back of the house (pic #2), but no matter which one, I wouldn't do an elevated run. An elevated coop would be fine. You can free range your chickens under supervision even with a red tailed hawk around. You can also use Roundup around your chickens. I have over 2 acres and use Roundup all the time. You can also manage your chicken poop without using pull out trays, sand, PDZ, or any of the other methods folks here use and especially with a coop that small. Put 1x2 welded wire under the roost and just rake out the chicken poop from under the coop when you feel it's necessary. My coop is a little larger than what you plan (5x5) and so is my run (8x16), but I believe the way mine is set up may work for you depending on your location. My chickens spend no time in the coop except to lay eggs or roost. Here's a few pics of my set up to give you an idea of what I'm recommending. Maybe some tweaks here and there and something like that would work for you, but as I said earlier, I would stay away from an elevated run. Also, from what you describe in your building plans, I doubt you'll ever be moving the coop in any situation much less a SHTF scenario.

IMG_2268.JPG
IMG_2255.JPG

I'm still tweaking on it. A small window will be added just to the left of the nest box. I don't really think the chickens need it and it certainly doesn't seem to bother them that one is not there, but I want it. The run is fully covered with wire, but only partially covered with galvanized roofing. It will be fully covered in the next month or so. You'll also notice the run does not extend under the coop. I'm 65 years old and don't want to crawl under there for a sick chicken or an egg stash. Plus, that's where the poop falls to the ground and I can rake it out from under there easily. Occasionally cleaning the wire off under the roost with a deck brush is a 1 minute job at the most for what little poop doesn't fall through on its own.

That was the basic idea. Taking into consideration that weeds come up in that bed all the time and that I use roundup, I didn't want to hurt the chickens with that. Also, with the rocks being uneven, snakes, mice, and rats could find their way in. That's why I decided to do an elevated run and coop.

Now I can do this: I can take all that stone out, and put it around the house in areas where it is presently located. I can replace the big stone with pea gravel, which would be just as good for drainage and possibly better on the chicken's feet. However I am still concerned with the chicken poop and it causing weeds to prop up. Stone has to be there for drainage. No getting around that.
The chickens will eat emergent vegetation...and I would just bury an apron of hardware cloth in the rock to keep out raccoons, etc

Back
Top Bottom