Help

Kenzid

Hatching
Apr 9, 2023
Chick started hatching, got stuck, worked his way out but still had the shell attached. I picked off the shell piece by piece so he could hopefully move easier but this is still attached to him.

Attachments

• 2BB95F15-78E6-4AF2-93F5-4EA5F08E8267.jpeg
    2BB95F15-78E6-4AF2-93F5-4EA5F08E8267.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 892B1C02-1C3C-46A3-BFCF-090811F06D1E.jpeg
    892B1C02-1C3C-46A3-BFCF-090811F06D1E.jpeg
    699.6 KB · Views: 3
yikes .. he wasnt stuck but wasnt done absorbing .. if its still alive maybe theres a chance he can make it if a washcloth is moistened with warm water and he's placed on it back in the bator .. id be sure its on the warm side ..

Also, if you have more eggs in there, don't take the shells off. Hatching is hard work, sometimes the look stuck but are instead resting. General recommendations of when to assist a hatch are 24 hours of no progress

Put him back in the incubator, and just keep an eye on him. Sometimes it takes a bit for them to detach, but it will detach from the shell on his own. Do NOT cut or tear anything.
This is what the butt looks like, is that still normal and okay? I don’t want him to suffer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 3
Also, if you have more eggs in there, don't take the shells off. Hatching is hard work, sometimes the look stuck but are instead resting. General recommendations of when to assist a hatch are 24 hours of no progress
I did wait the 24 hours to make sure he made no progress and I only picked off pieces of his shell at a time and then left him to do it himself but I still feel like I messed him up.

I don't know if that's unabsorbed yolk or part of the membrane, or the bits of hatch goo that sometimes form. I'd probably rest him on a paper towel in the incubator. But he needs to go back in for warmth. I hope someone can chime in with a better identification for you.

yikes .. he wasnt stuck but wasnt done absorbing .. if its still alive maybe theres a chance he can make it if a washcloth is moistened with warm water and he's placed on it back in the bator .. id be sure its on the warm side ..
I did wait the 24 hours to make sure he made no progress and I only picked off pieces of his shell at a time. He’s back in the incubator now, I’ll add the washcloth

With an assisted hatch there's a step with assisting with membrane removal as well. The photo of him in the incubator shows a yolk sac, I think. Did that burst when you removed him?

Back
Top Bottom