Help!!!!!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I've occasionaly gone to far when I've trimmed my chickens nails, so don't feel bad. The bleeding should stop relatively quickly, especially if you dip them in styptic powder, corn starch, or flour.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

It is not really necessary to trim the nails as long as the chickens have natural places to scratch around in. But if you do trim them and they bleed, as stated above, pack some cornstarch or flour on the tips of the nails to stop the bleeding. Then keep the bird in a clean dry area for a couple hours to make sure the nail doesn't start to bleed again.

They will be fine. :)

Like any animal in captivity many times they lack the proper environment to naturally 'wear down' their nails, and thus require trimming or else they can overgrow and cause issues with the toes and feet...

My girls are outside and the coop and run flooring is sand and clay, I havent had a issue.

If you have not had an issues that means yours have an adequate environment to wear down their nails properly, this doesn't hold true for everyone across the board...

I have been trimming animal nails since I was a kid, from indoor caged birds, to lizards, to rodents, to dogs, to livestock, to poultry and what not, there is no set in stone rules some need trimming others do not... And even some housed in the same conditions will need trimming while others will not... For example, one of my llamas needs constant trimming (every few months) while the other needs at most once a year even though they share the same pasture...

If you have not had an issues that means yours have an adequate environment to wear down their nails properly, this doesn't hold true for everyone across the board...

I have been trimming animal nails since I was a kid, from indoor caged birds, to lizards, to rodents, to dogs, to livestock, to poultry and what not, there is no set in stone rules some need trimming others do not... And even some housed in the same conditions will need trimming while others will not... For example, one of my llamas needs constant trimming (every few months) while the other needs at most once a year even though they share the same pasture...

As have I, I understand what your saying my friend, this was my first time finding out that people cut there chickens nails. No harm done dont drop a acme anvil on my head ;)

Oh glad I found this post
My 6 wk old pekin chick has a very long hooked beak
And today I've realised his claws are the same , when I held him his claws curled under my jumper and he struggled to walk
Because he kept getting stuck
Could he have an over growth of whatever claws and beak is made from?
I'm hoping my vet will give him a pedicure!
He's in the dam environment as my other chicks but only he has the problem

P.S. I think it may be because the nail is long but one of them twist a little bit to the side.. Is that normal?
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Nails sometimes twist to the side. As long as the chicken has no problems walking I wouldn't be concerned about it. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thank you :D. I actually have two questions! First, my dad bought some dust powder for my chicks.. But the bag says it's for Chinchillas, the lady at the pet shop said it was okay? And their brooder keeps steaming up??

Back
Top Bottom