Helping

MollyJANEEEE

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2017
NH
HI had to start helping one of the ducklings. He started to come out but couldn't quite get through the membrane and it had been about 15hrs. I peeled a little bit of for him and it started bleeding (just a little) now im worried. Suggestions or help?

HI had to start helping one of the ducklings. He started to come out but couldn't quite get through the membrane and it had been about 15hrs. I peeled a little bit of for him and it started bleeding (just a little) now im worried. Suggestions or help?

As in he pipped? Or started to zip? I'm thinking pipped because a duckling wouldn't start to zip if he would make himself bleed by doing so. If you do mean pipped, then you have potentially a long while yet to go. Ducklings can take 24 to 48 hours from the time they pip to when they zip. You just need to be patient.

And in the event you do need to help, read this article.

That duckling is now doing fine. Having some trouble walking, looks a little weird but is otherwise drinking, eating, and peeping.(knock on wood!)
I have two others that have been externally pipped for 48 hrs. I feel them moving, but they wont come out. Spraying water helped one other that I had hatched, and I have been doing this for them, but nothing. If they have not progressed by morning should I help a little? any suggestions? I have work 10-5;30 but I can someone else look over them when I am gone.

At 48 hours you should start to help now. Follow the guide in that article I posted.

Back
Top Bottom