Hen attacking young rooster ... is this normal?

A hen, or multiple hens teaching a young cockerel by bullying him is quite common to see.

Many people put their misbehaved young cockerels in a flock with older hens to teach him manners, and it usually works well. Although, sometimes you will find a cockerel who does not get taught anything and stays his hormonal self. Overall, it is the job of the hens to teach him what he is supposed to do and what he is not supposed to do at a young age—which is usually when he begins trying to mount the hens.

Do not worry about your cockerel getting bullied unless he is developing wounds.

The run is 3 x 4 meters, and contains the two coops at the moment, the youngsters one with food and water, and the two older girls coop which has their food and water.
There is also water at the youngsters end and the adult food at the other end where the youngsters haven't got to yet. (Fortunately, as I understand they shouldn't eat the 'grown up' pellets yet.) Sorry they're not great photos, but I hope they help.
I have that pen and I know from looking at it that you do not have enough room size for all of those chickens. That pen is mainly for bantams because it is small. The coops take up a lot of space that the chickens would need.

When I integrate chicks, I use a rabbit hutch with no bottom that's raised a few inches off the ground. (Any sort of cage up on blocks would work.) Little chickens can run underneath if they want, and big chickens can't fit through. I also put the little chickens' food and water in there, which prevents the adult hens from eating it all. I remove the cage after a couple weeks. Other than a few pecks on the head and some arguing at bedtime about who roosts where, I've never had any problems.
Screenshot_20240416-070351.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures of your set up.

With just 3x4 is looks crowded even just counting the 4 younger chicks.
How many adults are in there as well?

Not sure if this has been suggested but maybe lean boards up in the corners and along the wall for a "out of sight" hiding hole?

Our first set of girls were meaners to our second set and we learned while some is normal, theirs was not quite as normal, as the third set we had no issues at all- maybe some pecking but not the cornered attacks, and neck shakes.

Haven't had any issues until our hatchling(broody) rooster started to mount without permission then all the girls were after him lol (at 16 weeks)

Good kuck

When I integrate chicks, I use a rabbit hutch with no bottom that's raised a few inches off the ground. (Any sort of cage up on blocks would work.) Little chickens can run underneath if they want, and big chickens can't fit through. I also put the little chickens' food and water in there, which prevents the adult hens from eating it all. I remove the cage after a couple weeks. Other than a few pecks on the head and some arguing at bedtime about who roosts where, I've never had any problems.View attachment 3802782
I like the hutch idea! We have dog play pen panels that we set up and then after about a week I create doors for the chicks with lean-tos lol

Attachments

• PXL_20240413_202627263.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240413_202627263.MP.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240412_175657996.jpg
    PXL_20240412_175657996.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240408_175020912.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240408_175020912.MP.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom