Hen Losing Weight

When I picked her up it was like picking up air. She can't be more than a few pounds right now. She's doesn't like to be held whatsoever and she didn't even really fight me once I got my hands on her which tells me it's serious. I never thought to pick her up before because, besides running away from me all the time, her comb was still red and her feathers make her look poofy. But when I pick up the other Orpingtons they're some heft to them.

She shows interest, but she's not eating much. She will put her head down like she's pecking at food, but only about a quarter of the time I see her actually eat it. My flock loves meal worms like they're God's gift to the planet, but last night she didn't go as aggressively as normal. She'd peck around, but would only eat one here and there.

Many things can cause her symptoms... some treatable, some not. If she were mine I would keep her inside were it's warm (80-85 degrees), worm her, dust for mites and lice, do thorough exam which includes checking the inside of her vent for abnormalities, weigh daily and tube feed.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom