Hen lost her voice... Quick help please

I was waiting for someone to suggest Tylan. Tractor Supply Co carries this in both a water soluble and injectable form. The injectable tends to work better but it's much easier and likely more economical to do the water-soluble powder if you intend to treat the whole flock (this is assuming you have more than a few birds)...which, unfortunately, you might find necessary in a few weeks.

The reason I did not suggest Tylan is because I feel medication should be used ONLY when you *know* what you're treating for.

Tylan is not a general antibiotic (like penicillin or amoxicillin), and there are some illnesses that Tylan is worthless.

I understand wanting to do everything for your girl. I counsel doing research before treating with antibiotics. And I would only use it *if more symtpoms of a respiratory infection appear.*

MrsB

I think at this point, I would hold off on giving her Tylan. In this instance, there is not enough signs of illness for me to warrant jumping straight to antibiotics. I would, however, suggest dosing with some wormer like ivermectin. They make an injectable form which I am rather fond of for birds. You can dose either just her or the whole flock (I would have to do a bit of digging to find out the dosages for injectable ivermectin). Gape worms tend to live in the trachea, which you willnot see just by opening the mouth. They also tend to be small and difficult to see in a live bird. That could certainly be one reason for a lost voice.

Birds can also get goiters, which can press against the part of the trachea responsible for noise. This can also cause loss of voice. Aspergillus is another issue that can cause loss of voice. With the wet spring season upon us, this can definitely be an issue. Make sure to keep bedding dry and avoid cleaning while the birds are inside the coop. There's not much to treat this other than antifingals (which are hit or miss regarding whether they work because once a bird shows signs, it may not have time to work). If this is the issue, supportive care and monitoring will be your best bet.

If you see signs worsening, or difficulty breathing, then I would look into antibiotics.

Thank you all so much. After reading your posts and then researching tapeworm and aspergillosis and after searching locally for something to help treat an obviously unknown problem, and feeling powerless... I decided I had to do SOMETHING. So, here's what I did with my limited resources and time:
1. I visited the only feed store w/in a 30 mile radius at 5pm last night. (We had major commitments all day long.) I bought the only wormer that they had in stock at that time (Rooster Booster Triple Something-or-other). I read up on it when I returned home and see that it's got, as everything seems to :), supporters and detractors. But, like I said, I couldn't do nothing. I added it to their feed last night and they're munching happily on it today.
NOTE: I decided to treat all the hens because I figure if one's got something there's a good chance they all do. Also we have another hen who has a strip of feathers missing off her neck, and has had this for a while. Maybe she's just showing different symptoms? Maybe she'll benefit? I figure it will do no harm or at least very little given our circumstances.

2. After reading about all the benefits of garlic, I added this to their water this morning. I did use garlic and apple cider vinegar alternately over the winter when they were spending a lot of time in the coop, but since it's been nice out I have quit doing this. Again, I figured it's not going to hurt and may help out more than I know.
3. They do a little free-ranging in a fenced area during some of the daytime. There are lots of leaves to scratch through and I was thinking this was a good thing. Maybe not? (I'm thinking fungus...?? I do live in an arid area, but we've had a lot of snow melt and rain lately. In the next few days I'll be cleaning up in this yard/area.

Fortunately, I am off all week and will be able to monitor more closely than I have this past week. I'll let you know how things go… If you think of anything else I should be looking for please please let me know. Thanks a ton!

UPDATE 1: Queen Peach seemed to sound a little bit better today, but that might just be wishful thinking. The others are still going strong except...
My daughter notices some "small tan bugs " around another hen's (Henrietta) eyes. By the time I arrived home and inspected Henrietta (and all the others as a matter of course), neither of us could find anything anywhere... but she swears she saw something and I believe her. When I googled 'mites on chickens' we found an image of a 'predator mite' that she said fit the bill. DE, right? At least that's easy to find!

I'd recommend Sevin dust. Yes, it's a pesticide. Yes, it's the best, most effective way to treat external parasites. Yes, it's harmless to the birds (when used properly).

At night, grab them off the roost and dust their vent area, under each wing, and along their back. Also, dust the coop when you clean it.

Repeat in one week, and again in one week. Three treatments, seven days apart.

Mites and lice gone! :)

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom