Hen lost her voice... Quick help please

UPDATE 2: today QP was definitely sounding better. She's still hoarse, but not as much. When I kneeled down to talk to her she gave me quite a few low volume clucks- like she normally does - then a few whisper clucks.

But then later she started gaping- stretching her neck out and opening her mouth. This is new behavior. Before she just had the lost voice.
Good sign (voice returning) + bad sign (gaping) = ???

UPDATE 2: today QP was definitely sounding better. She's still hoarse, but not as much. When I kneeled down to talk to her she gave me quite a few low volume clucks- like she normally does - then a few whisper clucks.

But then later she started gaping- stretching her neck out and opening her mouth. This is new behavior. Before she just had the lost voice.
Good sign (voice returning) + bad sign (gaping) = ???

Do you think there is a way you could get a short video of her behavior and clucking? A video is worth 1,000 words. :)

MrsB

She is no longer doing the gaping thing but ai'll see what I can capture tomorrow. Thank you so much for all your patient help. :yiipchick

Hi there, you have a lot of help but I had a hen make a similar sound to what you're describing, and it sounds like chicken wheezing. I had no idea what she was doing at first, until I put my ear to her chest and listened to her lungs, and I could hear the wheezing. Does it sound sort of like a high-pitched "honk" rather that a sound a chicken should make? My chicken would do that periodically, then it would subside and she would cluck normally for a bit. Its pretty much the same as when we get respiratory infections, we have moments when we can't breathe and moments that we're kind of okay!
Mine turned out to be a simple respiratory infection, cleared up by broad-spectrum antibiotics to the whole flock. Phew, dodged a bullet with that one. A vid would definitely help to determine what the sound means!
Hope your girl is okay :)

Sorry for the delayed response, PertyGertie. The flock (with the exception of the feather-picker) is well. Queen Peach is GREAT! Her voice is back and she talks with us every day... I really think she knows her name - is this even possible?

Anyway, Carolina (our bare-necked gal, and probable feather-picker) is gaping - pretty badly today - and her voice now sounds like Peachie's did a few months ago. Ugh! Looks like another round, as I can't find ANYTHING else that could be a problem for them. And with our weather, they are eating more worms than they did when we brought them home (dry fall into winter).

I hope we can get this under control, but I understand that if this is indeed gapeworm, it is extremely difficult to get rid of.

Yes, of course they can know their names. They're smart creatures and with a little bit of time and consistency they can be taught many things. Oh yeah and an endless supply of mealworms helps too! ;)

I know gapeworm is rare but have read capillary worms can be a culprit as well. Those aren't visible either. Safeguard goat wormer is effective. Jim (dawg53) is a good source of worming information.

Funny you should confirm my suspicions about the girls knowing their names... This morning all but Carolina were visible from our deck. (The deck overlooks the coop/run/chicken yard and we often let them run 'free' in the yard while we go about our business, checking on them from time to time...) So I called her name to see if she'd come out from under the deck (their favorite outside spot... lots of free dirt space to dust bathe
D.gif
) or if she was perhaps in the coop, laying the first egg of the day. As in response, a voice from under the deck, consistent but quiet (she is the one who is losing her voice) clucking could be heard. The more I said her name, the more she clucked. She wasn't stuck or anything... just responding to my voice. So sweet...

As for worming, I got lots of help from Casportpony (sp?) when we went through the ordeal the first time. I really wanted to go the au natural route and not pre-treat for worms, but I'm realizing that our hens' complete access to worms at almost all times is going to make a regular worming necessary, most likely. Round one worked really well... about 3 months ago. Now Carolina is gaping and losing her voice, just like Queen Peach and Marquis did a few months ago. I fear that this will be an ongoing battle for us. :-(

Have you had a fecal test done? If you're dealing with capillary worms then you're always going to have a problem with them. It's in your dirt. It would be nice to pinpoint what exactly is the culprit of stealing your girl's voices.

No, but that makes sense. There isn't a single vet w/in an hour of me that treats/diagnoses birds, so it will be a major effort to do it. But in the long run, I know it's worth it.

Last night we had squishy crops (ugh!) and I made another post about that this morning (because otherwise they are behaving normally). I'm hoping that after a year (especially our year) I will be more adept at avoiding problems rather than trying to solve them one after the other. (We have had these gals for almost 10 months now. )

Back
Top Bottom