Hen or roo what's it look like to you!

katiegoodrow

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2015
Maine
Just got this six week old black Rhode Island Red. Tiny little thing. Woke up today to the weirdest chicken sound. Them saw the comb grew overnight! Here's a picture.

Just got this six week old black Rhode Island Red. Tiny little thing. Woke up today to the weirdest chicken sound. Them saw the comb grew overnight! Here's a picture.

What did you mean by "black Rhode Island Red" - asking as there is no black RIR, perhaps you meant mixed breed that involved some RIR parentage? If it is the latter, do you know the other parentage because this bird is not showing any characteristics of RIR.

Last edited:
What did you mean by "black Rhode Island Red" - asking as there is no black RIR, perhaps you meant mixed breed that involved some RIR parentage?  If it is the latter, do you know the other parentage because this bird is not showing any characteristics of RIR.

Hmm interesting the lady I got it from just said that it was a black Rhode Island Red? I don't know what else it would have been bred with.

Easter eggers, being mixed breed birds of many different potential parent breeds, come in a wide variety of colors and patterns and are not even consistent in comb type, leg color or facial leg feathering

No wonder mine looks nothing like I've seen before. It was actually labeled as an araucana. How do you feel about this 8 week old silver laced wyandotte?

Back
Top Bottom