Hen still wont eat

CluckyCluck

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
Since I found her two days ago, unable to extend her leg without pain she has only sat in the box and hasn't moved at all.

She's breathing a little heavy, but may be just because it's hot out. I can get her to drink water if I push her beak into it. She did peck at some yogurt this morning, and I slipped a few small pieces of scrambled eggs into her beak which she did swallow.

I'm going to start homeopathic remedy arnica today which is just for basic trauma.

I do hear a "click" when she is breathing, but it sounds like it's coming from inside of her body.

Should I try to vet wrap her leg? Nothing feels broken, and I can extend it with my hand, but she pulls it back up close to her body. Could be that one of my horses got spooked and she was close by - or she may have gone into the goat pen and got stepped on. It's her favorite place to take a dust bath.

I just don't know. But I'm pretty sure if she doesn't start eating, she's a goner. How can I make her eat?

Happy Sunday Everyone! I spent the day puking yesterday with a migraine, so I'm raring to go today.

i don't know what to do about the leg, but i think i might have some advice for getting her to eat something. here is my advice: get a little bit of cracked corn, about 1/4 of a cup, and dilute it with a lot of water. warm it on the stove, stirring constantly and slowly. pretty soon, you will have corn mush. let it cool, and fill up a syringe with the mush. (a syringe like the kind used to give little babies oral medication) try to get her beak open, and insert the syringe. give it to her slowly, letting her swallow and breathe. if you can't make the mush, you can try yogurt again, but mush is my best bet. worked for me!

I will try to make a chicken scratch mash - it has cracked corn in it, but I don't think I have anymore plain cracked corn left.

Chicken scratch mash should work the same, right?

My favorite appetite recipe is french toast. One egg, a bit of milk, tsp of sugar, few drops of vanilla. Soak up the egg with a piece of bread, and brown on both sides. I like the mush in the middle. I have not had any chicken turn up their nose at that. I cut it up in real small cubes.

Back
Top Bottom