Hen Suddenly Laying Less

Ok, showing my ignorance ....what is Camp Amana?

Freezer Camp or in other words culling the chicken for the meat.
Amana is a brand of refrigerators/freezers and other appliances.
I got that Amana reference, cracked me up.

Last edited:
Alot of good answers and most are "right," but considering the time of year the hen could be biologically thinking about brooding a clutch of eggs........egg production will stop or decrease, nothing wrong just the facts of life of a chicken.

I have a lovely Easter Egger hen who is just over 16 months old. She is typically my most faithful layer of the small flock that I have. Over the last week and a half or so she has only produced 2-3 eggs. She usually lays 5-6 times a week. Our summer has been incredibly mild here in Missouri, so I cannot really contribute it to heat. My other two that currently lay are doing so "normally". Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be effecting her? I'm not trying to be unrealistic or unreasonable, as I am thankful for the little that she is still laying. It is just very unusual for her. Thank you for any input.

Just wondering , you didn't say wether or not your other 2 are also EEs. Different breeds= different lays(times/lengths/amounts)?
Have you changed their feed?
Or the ratio?
She is getting past that first year.
1f62a.png
The egg producer barns up south of me change their birds every 18 months. They just process all the old ones and buy "ready to lay" pullets.
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png

I know if I so much as change the % of anything in my feed mixture my birds would slow down or even dead stop laying.
It seemed to be OK if they changed their ingestion of their free range diet due to season, so long as I didn't change their feed ratio "at home"..... Their evening treat..... Their incentive to come to the coop/home.
Maybe she invested something that disagreed with her system ??
Lotsa questions. No for sure answers .
I hope you find the answer for your own peace of mind. And please post it for us all to gain knowledge.
HAGD
1f31e.png

I have two Easter eggers very close to the same age. One lays around the yard when she free ranges ( the only chicken I have that does this out of ten) and my other hen has stopped laying. I have been worried a few times about egg binding with her, after epson salt soaks and massaging softly she was ok. She also lays a lot of soft shell eggs. Her eggs always looked long and funky. I am thinking she has a funny or narrow shaped vent. No egg from her in a month.

I have little coop and in the nesting area there is a hole in wire in the floor just big enough for an egg to drop through. A hen lays an egg it may or may not fall through. The next hen comes in and as they do this eggs end up falling through the hole. And yess I have a basket beneath to catch what ever comes through. Bottom of this coop is over 3 feet from the ground.

I have little coop and in the nesting area there is a hole in wire in the floor just big enough for an egg to drop through. A hen lays an egg it may or may not fall through. The next hen comes in and as they do this eggs end up falling through the hole. And yess I have a basket beneath to catch what ever comes through. Bottom of this coop is over 3 feet from the ground.
If I understand your post you said that the floor of your coop is wire? That would be awfully hard on your chickens' feet. Is this 'hole' one that is there on purpose? I'm not understanding, could you clarify?

the little coop was an old rabbit hutch. which is wire flooring. However, I have wire flooring in my main coop. During the summer it is just wire,very airy, except the nesting boxes which have bedding. During the winter months I have a covering that i then put bedding in which keeps everybody ( chickens) toasty. The wire doesn't have bures on it which I tested by dragging my own hand over it. The wire has a give to it when they land on it.

Back
Top Bottom