Hen swallowed piece of broccoli stem and it's stuck in throat

The types of things chickens can swallow is amazing!.Who knew that a broccoli stem can cost you hundreds of dollar's.

Last edited:
The vet's office said if she is eating, drinking and defecating, I can wait until my appointment this Saturday. They said if she stops doing any of those or gets worse in any way to bring her in as an emergency. I was gone all afternoon and when I got home, she had pooped, albeit thin and watery, it was something. I had made some wet food pellets for her which she may have pecked at a little. She was sitting down instead of standing which to me looks more comfortable. I tried some of her regular old pellets and she did quickly eat some. There's still a lot of gurgling going on and she was holding one foot kind of limp but eventually stretched and stood up normally. Her eyes are still bright and she was a bit perkier, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I can't tell if she drank much water. I have two big hanging dog bowls full in her cage; one with plain water and one with the powdered chicken probiotics and electrolytes. And I have a radio playing for her. I think she gets stressed being alone. So we'll see how she's doing a little later! Appreciate everyone's opinions.
Can you put her cage out in the coop so she has some chicken company and stimulation?

I have a separate area in the front of my shed I may put her in during the day so she can see the others but I think it's too cold at night here in Indiana for her to stay by herself, especially being ill. She looks even better now. Still not eating a lot but some, and laying down instead of standing. Her crop is still a little puffy but is much softer and smaller. Her comb is looking better too. Oh I hope she's going to make it! She's my oldest and rarely lays an egg, but I would hate for this to be the way she goes; being my fault and all. Hopefully someone new to chickens reading this will learn something from this too!

I have a separate area in the front of my shed I may put her in during the day so she can see the others but I think it's too cold at night here in Indiana for her to stay by herself, especially being ill. She looks even better now. Still not eating a lot but some, and laying down instead of standing. Her crop is still a little puffy but is much softer and smaller. Her comb is looking better too. Oh I hope she's going to make it! She's my oldest and rarely lays an egg, but I would hate for this to be the way she goes; being my fault and all. Hopefully someone new to chickens reading this will learn something from this too!

hugs.gif
Please don't feel bad.

The crop feeling smaller and softer is hopeful. I'm wishing she makes a full recovery.

Yes, this thread will be helpful to others. So please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Any amount of visiting with the flock would be good.
I understand about the night time temps, tho I imagine you are also having the warming trend that we are having up here.
Maybe even let her out of crate to roam a bit an hour or so before roosting time,
unless the 'front part of the shed' has lots of room to stretch her legs and walk around some.
Exercise will be good for her metabolism.

Yeah, quit beating yourself up..... it's hard, but let it go.

She's a little better today. I put her out with the others. I did give her a little Activia yogurt. There's still a lot of gurgling from her gut. Stuff is moving through and out. She drank and drank when she got out with the others. Guess she likes three day old water better than fresh from the faucet! She's pecking at some cabbage leaves and walking slowly around. Still twists her neck around a little but not as much as before. I don't think she ate much of her pellets. Her crop still seems puffy but is still soft. I didn't see her spit up at all today either. Hopefully moving around and being with her flock will help things start moving. I will try a little more yogurt later. The sugar might help give her some energy too. I think we're moving in the right direction!

She's a little better today. I put her out with the others. I did give her a little Activia yogurt. There's still a lot of gurgling from her gut. Stuff is moving through and out. She drank and drank when she got out with the others. Guess she likes three day old water better than fresh from the faucet! She's pecking at some cabbage leaves and walking slowly around. Still twists her neck around a little but not as much as before. I don't think she ate much of her pellets. Her crop still seems puffy but is still soft. I didn't see her spit up at all today either. Hopefully moving around and being with her flock will help things start moving. I will try a little more yogurt later. The sugar might help give her some energy too. I think we're moving in the right direction!
Maybe bring her in at night, with no feed, to assess her crop at night then morning.

Saw this today and thought of your situation, not the same but still:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1149264/chicken-ate-a-field-mouse-whole-should-i-be-worried

Good idea. I let them out for a while today and she walked around a lot and scratched and pecked. She stopped for a minute and twisted her neck around a couple times. I shake the mealworm bag to get them back in and she ran a few feet then walked in. She did eat a couple worms and drank some more. Better!

I have noticed my hens prefer old water over fresh from the faucet too. I current theory on this is that municipal water has too much chlorine in it and they like to wait for it to evaporate before wanting to drink it.

I would agree that makes sense, but we have well water. Go figure!
1f615.png
Silly chickens LOL

She was even better this morning. Ran out with everyone else and attacked the mealworms and cantaloupe guts I had today. That crop still feels a little bloated and she slowed down again after a while but still progressing in the right direction! Thanks everyone for your support.

Back
Top Bottom