Hen swallowed piece of broccoli stem and it's stuck in throat

Okay, so I just watchd that video, and I gotta let everyone know that it's full of misinformation and dangerous advice. :(

Did you all see how little fluid she acually gave and I think the hen did aspirate a little of it.

I'm having issues seeing vids, so I relied on aart's eyes... it didn't sound like a option for trying... :/

Better then to not post anything than to post misinformation.

X2

Or just tag others that might know more... they can opt to ignore the tag, so don't feel like you're 'bothering' others... better for more to see and be able to give insight than offering something that could be dangerous... :)

Quote: Posting implies a viable solution unless you specify it, or part of it, is not a good thing to do.
You even stated that is might be the best idea:
Quote:
You welcome.I do hope the best for your hen.There is one option that you can do but it is very risky but where your at this might be the best idea.

Watch this

Posting implies a viable solution unless you specify it, or part of it, is not a good thing to do.
You even stated that is might be the best idea:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfClucker

You welcome.I do hope the best for your hen.There is one option that you can do but it is very risky but where your at this might be the best idea.

Watch this

Id rather not fight in this thread.

I'm having issues seeing vids, so I relied on aart's eyes... it didn't sound like a option for trying...
hmm.png

X2

Or just tag others that might know more... they can opt to ignore the tag, so don't feel like you're 'bothering' others... better for more to see and be able to give insight than offering something that could be dangerous...
smile.png

Ok.Will do

Better then to not post anything than to post misinformation.

Absolutely!

Id rather not fight in this thread.

Not fighting, just pointing out that it wasn't the best information to share. It happens all the time around here. Just learn from it.

If someone doesn't take an initiative to correct misinformation, others will also use it.

I think it's always best to verify as much as possible in a video before posting it... In the video I think she says that food goes from the crop to the gizzard, and makes no mention of the proventriculus (stomach), to me that was a big red flag.

@basement chick , I think if the broccoli manages to get into the proventriculus without getting stuck that there is a good chance your hen will digest it, but if I were you, and I had the money, I would still plan on seeing the vet on Saturday.

Proventriculus

The esophagus continues past the crop, connecting the crop to the proventriculus. The proventriculus (also known as the true stomach) is the glandular stomach where digestion primarily begins. Hydrochloric acid and digestive enzymes, such as pepsin, are added to the feed here and begin to break it down more significantly than the enzymes secreted by the salivary glands. At this point, however, the food has not yet been ground—this organ is called the proventriculus because its location in the digestive tract is before the ventriculus, where food is ground (see Figure 4).
Proventriculus_and_gizzard.png

Fig. 4. Two views of the proventriculus and gizzard from a chicken digestive tract. Source: Jacquie Jacob, University of Kentucky

Ventriculus (Gizzard)

The ventriculus, or gizzard, is a part of the digestive tract of birds, reptiles, earthworms, and fish. Often referred to as the mechanical stomach, the gizzard is made up of two sets of strong muscles that act as the bird's teeth and has a thick lining that protects those muscles (see Figure 5). Consumed feed and the digestive juices from the salivary glands and proventriculus pass into the gizzard for grinding, mixing, and mashing.
Inside_gizzard.jpg

Fig. 5. Inside of a chicken gizzard, with the internal lining removed. Source: Jacquie Jacob, University of Kentucky
When allowed to free-range, chickens typically eat small stones. The acidic environment in the proventriculus softens the stones, and then the strong muscles of the gizzard grind them into tiny pieces. The stones remain in the gizzard until they are ground into pieces small enough to pass to the rest of the digestive tract.
Grit, a commercial product made up of small stones, can be used as a supplement to chicken feed. Chickens fed only commercially prepared feed do not need grit. Chickens that eat whole grains or chickens kept on pasture that do not consume enough pebbles with the forage typically require a supplementation of grit. Grit should not be confused with limestone or oystershell, which are given to laying hens as sources of calcium for their eggs' shells.
When a chicken eats a small, sharp object, such as a tack or staple, the object is likely to get stuck in the gizzard. Because of the strong grinding motion of the gizzard's muscles, such sharp objects can put holes in the gizzard wall. Chickens with damaged gizzards grow thin and eventually die. Preventing this situation is a good reason to keep a poultry house free of nails, glass shards, bits of wire, and so on.

Last edited:
The vet's office said if she is eating, drinking and defecating, I can wait until my appointment this Saturday. They said if she stops doing any of those or gets worse in any way to bring her in as an emergency. I was gone all afternoon and when I got home, she had pooped, albeit thin and watery, it was something. I had made some wet food pellets for her which she may have pecked at a little. She was sitting down instead of standing which to me looks more comfortable. I tried some of her regular old pellets and she did quickly eat some. There's still a lot of gurgling going on and she was holding one foot kind of limp but eventually stretched and stood up normally. Her eyes are still bright and she was a bit perkier, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I can't tell if she drank much water. I have two big hanging dog bowls full in her cage; one with plain water and one with the powdered chicken probiotics and electrolytes. And I have a radio playing for her. I think she gets stressed being alone. So we'll see how she's doing a little later! Appreciate everyone's opinions.

The vet's office said if she is eating, drinking and defecating, I can wait until my appointment this Saturday. They said if she stops doing any of those or gets worse in any way to bring her in as an emergency. I was gone all afternoon and when I got home, she had pooped, albeit thin and watery, it was something. I had made some wet food pellets for her which she may have pecked at a little. She was sitting down instead of standing which to me looks more comfortable. I tried some of her regular old pellets and she did quickly eat some. There's still a lot of gurgling going on and she was holding one foot kind of limp but eventually stretched and stood up normally. Her eyes are still bright and she was a bit perkier, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I can't tell if she drank much water. I have two big hanging dog bowls full in her cage; one with plain water and one with the powdered chicken probiotics and electrolytes. And I have a radio playing for her. I think she gets stressed being alone. So we'll see how she's doing a little later! Appreciate everyone's opinions.

Hope she pulls through!! :fl

Back
Top Bottom