Hen very sick but still eating & drinking

Let me ask you this... If your horse was foaling and the foal was slightly malpostioned, would you hesitate in reaching in and helping? I'm not talking about a foal facing backwards, but something simple like one leg that needed adjustment.

-Kathy

Of course!! No worries, it's getting done. She's taking an epsom salt bath right now.

I guess my sense of humor isn't coming across too well in these posts. Either that or this is neither the time nor place for that right now...

So I stuck my middle finger into her vent all the way up to the second knuckle, or a little further (I have pretty long fingers).

No egg.

I had ruled out egg binding earlier because she didn't exhibit many of the symptoms I'd read about. But it's always good to rule things out, especially if it's as simple as sticking your finger up her behind. :)

Maybe the epsom salt bath will help whatever is ailing her (along with the Amoxy).

Thanks, all.

Last edited:
Quote: Humor can be hard to see in posts, so I missed it! There was one person that equated it to violtating a woman, and they were not joking, so I guess that's why I react the way I do.
big_smile.png

Question... Have you wormed this hen with Saf guard or Valbazen. If so, how much did you give?

-Kathy

So I stuck my middle finger into her vent all the way up to the second knuckle, or a little further (I have pretty long fingers).

No egg.

I had ruled out egg binding earlier because she didn't exhibit many of the symptoms I'd read about. But it's always good to rule things out, especially if it's as simple as sticking your finger up her behind. :)

Maybe the epsom salt bath will help whatever is ailing her (along with the Amoxy).

Thanks, all.
I know what you mean about humor or something not coming thru as one thought it would. I hope the amoxy works. I certainly feel better knowing you have ruled out an egg being stuck!
big_smile.png

Humor can be hard to see in posts, so I missed it! There was one person that equated it to violtating a woman, and they were not joking, so I guess that's why I react the way I do.
big_smile.png

Question... Have you wormed this hen with Saf guard or Valbazen. If so, how much did you give?

-Kathy

That's horrendous! The Internet gives all sorts of sickos anonymity. Not a problem, I understand.

No I haven't wormed her, but I can go to town today to see if the feed store has either of those.

I only worm my horses when absolutely necessary, because over-use has caused a serious resistance problem in recent years/decades (my vet agrees). So I don't stock the stuff.

I feel the same way about antibiotics (use only when desperate). That's why I still had the bottle of Amoxy from when *I* didn't take it earlier this year for a tooth problem. :)

The only dewormer my feed store has is Wazine.

Anyone tried that?

Wazine is great for roundworms. But chickens can get other worms and one of them , capillaria or thread worm, is difficult to kill and ended up with a dead hen even tho she was wormed regularly. Because I didn't know that it took a different way of worming. What we do now is Safeguard for 5 days and then again a month (?) later. Or valbazen, 0.5 ml one dose now and one in 10 days.

There are others on this thread who can probably tell you where to get it. And correct my dose if possible.

Back
Top Bottom