Hen very sick but still eating & drinking

I think someone stated that it is not a good idea to dose an already sick chicken with Wazine. ( i hope i am not wrong in stating this)

Uh oh...
sad.png

Wazine is probably the only wormer labled for chickens at the feed store. You will need to find Safeguard in the goat/cattle/horse section of medications. You should probably not listen to any advice from employees there. (I should not be so judgemental, but I can tell you for a fact that there is not a single employee in my Tractor Supply that knows anything about medicating chickens.)

I think someone stated that it is not a good idea to dose an already sick chicken with Wazine. ( i hope i am not wrong in stating this)

It's probably stressful on their system but it depends on what you think it is. If you're near-as-you-can-get sure it's worms, they need to be gone. I would use valbazen or safeguard because they're less stressful on their system.

Wazine is probably the only wormer labled for chickens at the feed store. You will need to find Safeguard in the goat/cattle/horse section of medications. You should probably not listen to any advice from employees there. (I should not be so judgemental, but I can tell you for a fact that there is not a single employee in my Tractor Supply that knows anything about medicating chickens.)

X2

Hi everyone,

Wanda is still holding her own. Still eating and drinking. Hanging in there.

I haven't dewormed her yet, partly because it was unclear whether it could harm her if that wasn't the problem. Also, my hubby thinks it's a respiratory problem, not worms. In which case he thinks the antibiotics should help.

Don't ask me how, but I do know he's been right about animal health problems 100% of the time in the past 16 years. He's just usually a little late to the party, before he finally shares what he's thinking. He also has a background in microbiology along with a photographic memory. So he's brilliant when it comes to scientific topics (quantum physics too!).

I may still worm her once I find a feed store that carries one of the recommended brands - not sure yet. It occurred to me that Wanda's appetite could be a result of worms.

Happy Sunday!

Mer

I'm very sorry to report that Wanda passed away last night.

I really appreciate all the help and advice you all gave.

I hope everyone has a great holiday season,

Mer

Back
Top Bottom