Hens have slowed down egg production

rogerf

Chirping
14 Years
Apr 27, 2009
I have a brood of 10 RIR and have consistently gotten 7-8 eggs a day since September. They are only a year old.
Now that spring has sprung I am now getting 4-5 a day. It has been raining a lot could that have anything to do with it.
I've got customers that I might not be able to supply. Any thoughts?

All of my chickens stop laying when it rains. It doesn't rain very often here, so I believe they think the world is ending. The decrease in production may have to do with lack of sunlight.

I have the same problem. I have 11 hens and was getting 9 eggs or so a day (in the winter!) and now they've slacked off to about 6-7. They are about 10 months old. The rooster has been visiting them a bit more now that he is older and they are losing some feathers where he jumps on them but I don't think they are molting. Everyone seems healthy, active and happy...they are just slacking off.
idunno.gif

I have a fried chicken bucket that I wrote "LAY OR ELSE!" on...I'm thinking of putting it in one of the nesting boxes.
D.gif

It could be the rain/clouds/lack of sunshine. But, just to be sure, please check your girls for lice and mites. When my girls slacked off last year I didn't think too much of it. But then I noticed one of my Buff Orps looking sick. I inspected her and found feather lice under her wings. I could clearly see the bugs when I lifted up her wings. I dusted everybody with Sevin and they perked up and began laying again.

My RIR that laid faithfully through the winter is taking a bit of a break now; instead of 6 eggs a week., she's producing about 3. I figure she earned the rest.

Thanks All.....It must be the rain.
I'll certainly look for mites as well and if that doesn't work I'll look for one of those buckets....lol.

Back
Top Bottom