Hens not laying eggs well.

George8207

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2016
I have 12 hens, one hatched 5 about a week ago. Another will hatch in about 2 weeks. The other hens are only laying 4 to 7 eggs a day although 2 months or so ago I was getting 9 or more. I use laying mash and were also giving them oats and corn. They seem to be getting fat and lazy although they have a half acre reserved for them, so I reduced it to just the mash. Got any ideas?

Two other questions. They come running to me any time I go into the yard, but won't let me even begin to touch them. They appear to fear me but I have never hurt one. The just hatched biddies won't let me get near them. Mom hen don't want me near either. I have had to catch one and put it back into the pen.

Final question. The sitting hen should hatch some in about 2 weeks. The first batch is in an isolated run with shelter, but the currently sitting hen is in the main coop in one of the laying areas. Sometimes a hen gets in with her and so I have to check for fresh eggs among the hatching ones. But my question is: when this hatch occurs, should I make a separate run for them or allow them to remain in the coop. Will the biddies be able to negotiate the climb in and out? How will I feed them their baby feed or can they just eat the laying mash along with the big chickens?

Thank you for your response.

The heat has a lot of people's hens reducing egg production. That may the issue. They could also have a hidden nest somewhere (even a corner in the coop or run). Of course you could also have a snake or rodent getting to them, or an egg eater. So many possibilities.

Second paragraph does not contain a question but I assume you are wondering why they won't let you handle them and that is normal for most chickens unless you have worked to tame them. They are a prey animal, so being scooped up and cuddled doesn't come naturally for most.

The easiest solution is to feed an all flock, especially if you regularly let broodies hatch. Set out oyster shell on the side and the girls can get their fill of calcium supplementation as they need it. I let my broodies raise their chicks with the flock, but I do have some separate lower enclosed areas for them to sleep with the chicks for the first few weeks until they are able to navigate the ramp.

Back
Top Bottom