hens or roosters?

We have 5 "hens", all hatched in March or April. Of the two that were officially sexed before we got them, one is now clearly a rooster. Today when I got home I thought I heard him crowing. But it wasn't him, it was one of the non-sexed hens (saw and heard it myself). This was a VERY good imitation of how the rooster crows. So now I'm confused. Or maybe just the hen is confused. I have no idea what the breed is, but I took some pictures for clarification. What say you, chicken experts?
The bird pictured is a cockerel. In fact, I just ate one for dinner tonight that looked just like that.

We have 5 "hens", all hatched in March or April. Of the two that were officially sexed before we got them, one is now clearly a rooster. Today when I got home I thought I heard him crowing. But it wasn't him, it was one of the non-sexed hens (saw and heard it myself). This was a VERY good imitation of how the rooster crows. So now I'm confused. Or maybe just the hen is confused. I have no idea what the breed is, but I took some pictures for clarification. What say you, chicken experts?

Yep, cockerel.

Hmm. That may also explain why this particular chicken came running at me out of the woods the other day, with it's face feathers fluffed out looking like something out of Jurassic Park.

Hmm. That may also explain why this particular chicken came running at me out of the woods the other day, with it's face feathers fluffed out looking like something out of Jurassic Park.
That would be charging at you. And it's something that a rooster should never do towards a human. That's a warning that he has already made up his mind to 'dominate' you...

So I have this chicken i just got, and its coming into my pack of 12 that i have already. Im doing all the right things by introducing them little at a time. I think it might be a rooster though.. Its crowing in the morning and it has bright colors. Can I get some help on knowing if its a hen or rooster.

So I have this chicken i just got, and its coming into my pack of 12 that i have already. Im doing all the right things by introducing them little at a time. I think it might be a rooster though.. Its crowing in the morning and it has bright colors. Can I get some help on knowing if its a hen or rooster.
Yep. That's a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom