hens or roosters?

lo pro chicks

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2015
hi everyone, newb here. wife got me into birds recently, made a coop with a 10' by 18' run. I dont plan on having anymore than 10 hens at a time. We have a rir and a black star now that are laying. 2 1 month old pbr's that are pure breads and just beautifull, they are in the living room in the brooder. and 4 muts..if you can identify great, if not thats ok too. Please help me out i suk at sexing chicks if they arent pbr. Thanks, Dan and Jenn
[/IMG][/IMG]

Our feed stores haven't been entirely honest on breed this was supposed to be a blue andelusian game chicken a "laying breed"

...at least they guessed the color right lol

By your photo the little arch in the tail feathers and the big bright red wattles I'd say roo. I would think he may be a cornish or red ranger mix with how ginormous his legs are but he'll be one handsome roo :D

Last edited:
New here and new to chickens. My parents had chickens but I don't recall a big debate over sexing them only in not being pets. I've attached photos of my 10 chickens I'd really appreciate your thoughts if hens or roosters. While some are obvious chickens the one's I think ight be roosters I equally think they may not be. None of them act like roosters they are 18 weeks old now show no aggression, no crowing.

This last one I call Cagney and the weeker one I guess, they nearly pecked her bald. Because they actually pecked her so bad to the point she was bleeding andher back was open I made a chicken saddle from cloth screen so air could hit it andput a salve on it that included tea tree oil and no she is getting her feathers bak and eating regular, I think she is going to be ok though a super pet, she hangs around me not the chickens lol.

None of your birds look like roosters. A rooster would be really obvious by 18 weeks old. The combs usually turn red before 10 weeks old, pullets don't start turning red until about 14 to 18 weeks old. They would also have all their male feathers in by 18 weeks old. I've attached a picture so that you can see the feathering differences that a rooster would have by that age. Long, thin hackle and saddle feathers, and a very red and obvious comb.

Back
Top Bottom