here's why we shouldn't put quail and chickens together...update #3

I also have a few questions, I read this thread, & it causing me much concern know. I bought chicken and quail eggs, they were being incubated together. Chickens hatched, but quail has not yet, what are the chances of spreading this from just eggs? I don't plan on having them in the same brooder. I also have been hatching goose eggs.

Also how often is this seen in geese? I have had my new chicks in with my goslings (which I hatched as well) for a few days. They are apart now, but have greatly inprinted on each other.

Finally I have parrots, I am very careful about washing my hands, and even changing clothes before touching my parrots. However my incubator and brooder are/is going to both be in my house for a bit. Any extra precautions? I have never read about this particular bacterium being in parrots, but I know they are easily prone to respiratory diseases in general.

so.. I havent had chickens in a couple years, all I have is coturnix quail and I love them but my nieghbors recently got chickens and they are about 300 feet from my quail pen, do you think thats close enough to ever have a problem???

10 Ft Should Be Sufficient.. If Closer Simply Seperate By A Solid Barrier... Roofing Tin, Poly Tarp Etc... Just Something To Stop The Droplets From Spreading And You're Fine

" DEFINITION: Infectious Coryza (IC) is an infectious contagious respiratory bacterial disease of several avian species. The disease is acute to subacute at onset but progresses to a chronic state as the disease works through the flock. Common names for the disease are roup, cold and Coryza. Coryza is characterized by nasal discharge, facial swelling, sneezing, labored breathing and fetid odor of the exudates. Coryza is a disease of the upper respiratory tract--trachea, sinuses and air passages of the head. Coryza occurs worldwide. In the United States, it is predominately found in small noncommercial, menagerie, or hobby type flocks. The causative agent is Hemophilus paragallinarum, a polar staining, pleomorphic, non-motile, gram negative rod that was first described in 1920. There are three antigenic types (A, B, and C) which all share certain antigens. H. paragallinarum requires "V" factor, a special growth factor in the media to grow. While chickens are the primary host of Coryza, pheasants, guinea fowl and turkeys are also susceptible. It is assumed that other gamebird species will become infected if commingle on a regular basis with chronically infected gamebirds or poultry flocks. Age-wise, Coryza is a disease of juvenile and mature birds or birds 14 weeks of age or older. The incubation period is 1 to 3 days and the course of the disease is 4 to 12 weeks."

THE ARTICLE YOU REFER TO IS KIND OF SHORT AND GENERALIZED--- LOOK IT UP IN THE MERCK VET MANUAL THEY PROVIDE MORE IN DEPTH INFORMATION. CORYZA IS NOT AIRBORN TRANSMISSION--- IT IS A DIRECT CONTACT TRANSMISSION... THE REASON FOR THE "BUFFER ZONE" OR DISTANCE BETWEEN GAMEBIRDS AND OTHER POULTRY IS THE POSSIBILITY OF AEROSOL TRANSMISSION--- THATS WHEN AN INFECTED BIRD COUGHS OR SNEEZES (WHICH THEY DO FREQUENTLY WHEN INFECTED) THE AIR EXPELLED FROM THE INFECTED BIRD WILL CONTAIN TINY DROPLETS OF NASAL/ PULMONARY SECRETIONS--- ITS THESE TINY DROPLETS THAT ARE INFECTIOUS. WETHER THEY ARE INHALED BY A NEW HOST ANIMAL, OR FLOAT TO THE GROUND IN A NEW PEN WITH FUTURE HOST ANIMALS OR LAND DIRECTLY ON FOOD/ WATER SOURCES FOR NEW HOST ANIMALS.

ALSO THERE ARE AT LEAST 3 DIFFERENT MYCOPLASMA ORGANISMS THAT ARE CAUSATIVE AGENTS OF CORYZA. CHCIKENS ARE NOT THE ONLY CARRIERS- IN FACT MANY FORMS OF POULTRY THAT HAS LONG HISTORY OF BEING DOMESTICATED CAN HARBOR IT-- THIS INCLUDES TURKEYS, GUINEA FOWL, EVEN DOMESTIC WATERFOWL--- MOST OF WHICH RESPOND TO TREATMENT WITH ACTIVE INFECTIONS, GAMEBIRDS DO NOT GENERALLY RESPOND WELL TO TREATMENT. IN GAMEBIRDS THE CORYZA IS NOT WHAT KILLS THEM, ITS THE SECONDARY BACTERIAL INFECTIONS THAT COEXIST WITH CORYZA THAT KILLS. OFTEN TIMES OTHER POULTRY EITHER TOLERATES THESE DISEASES BETTER, HAS NATURAL IMMUNITY AGAINST THESE DISEASES, OR REPSONDS MORE FAVORABLY TO TREATMENT WITH MEDICATION.

FOR LACK OF A BETTER WAY OF STATING ANY BIRD CAN BE A CARRIER OF THIS ILLNESS--- BUT DOMESTIC POULTRY ARE THE MOST WELL KNOWN "USUAL SUSPECTS" SOMETIMES THE USUAL SUSPECTS CAN BE QUITE DECEPTIVE WHEN IT COMES TO BEING CARRIERS... IF YOU HAVE THE SAME GANG HANG AROUND THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD ALL THE TIME THEY MAY WELL ALL BE CARRIERS AND HAVE INHERITED OR ACQUIRED IMMUNITY--- THUS THE WAY YOU CAN HAVE A FLOCK THAT LOOKS CLEAN, BUT IS REALLY A BATCH OF DISEASE TOTING HOOLIGANS
smile.png

LABRATORY TESTING CAN BE PERFORMED BUT IS QUITE COSTLY AS EVERY SINGLE BIRD MUST BE CHECKED, CULTURED AND REPORTED UPON. THE BASIC TESTING IS A NASAL SMEAR FROM EACH BIRD APPLIED TO A SLIDE THAT IS THEN TREATED WITH A REACTIVE DYE WHICH REACTS WITH THE ANTIGEN IN QUESTION ALLOWING IT TO BE OBSERVED UNDER A MICROSCOPE- IF AGENTS ARE OBSERVED THE SAME SMEAR IS THEN CULTURED IN DECENT SIZE COLONIES TO BE ISOLATED AND DIAGNOSED AS TO WHICH SPECIFIC INFECTIOUS ORGANISM IT IS. WHILE THIS DOESNT SOUND TOO DIFFICULT WE END UP GETTING THE FARM VET TO START THIS WHOLE PROCESS AND THEN SHIP THE SMEARS TO THE APPROPRIATE TESTING FACILITY AND THEN PAY THEM TO DO WHAT THEY--- IT GETS LONG, DRAWN OUT, AND VERY EXPENSIVE--- ONLY TO FIND OUT "YES YOU DO HAVE CORYZA" AND NOW ALL YOUR STOCK IS USELESS FOR BREEDING AND SHOULD NOT BE EXPOSED TO ANY OTHER BIRDS SO YOU CANT SHOW THEM... ALL THAT LEFT IS THE TABLE--- AND IN MY VIEW THAT DOESNT LOOK TOO APPEALING ON THE DINNER MENU--- "HONEY WHATS FOR DINNER TONIGHT?"...... "CORYZA QUAIL WITH RICE, IT'LL BE READY IN ABOUT 20 MINUTES"
sickbyc.gif

NOW AS FAR AS PRACTICAL BIOSECURITY, DO NOT MIX THE DIFFERENT SPECES IN CLOSE CONTACT, A REASONABLE SAFETY RANGE SEPERATES THEM TO WARD OFF CROSS CONTAMINATION BY "AEROSOL" METHOD OF TRANSMISSION. DO NOT CROSS CONTAMINATE IN YOUR DAILY HUSBANDRY--- NO SHARING OF FEED SCOOPS OR CONTAINERS, FOOD OR WATER SOURCES OR DISHES, SPACE SEPERATION, CLEAN TECHNIQUE--- WORK FORM CLEANEST TO DIRTIEST--- FEED ALL GAMEBRDS 1ST, THEN FEED OTHER SPECES OF POULTRY, HANDWASHING GOES A LONG WAY TOO IN BETWEEN DIFFERENT SPECES-- IN FITZY'S CASE 1 OF 2 THINGS HAPPENED, EITHER HIS WIFE'S SILKIES WHO WOULD COME INTO THE QUAIL BARN AND CLEAN UP THE SCRAPS THE QUAIL DROPPED SOMEHOW INFECTED THE QUAIL( THOSE FUZZY LITTLE DISEASE TOTING HOOLIGANS
smile.png
), OR AS FITZY IS A TATTOO ARTIST AND WEARS GLOVES WHEN FEEDING AND HANDLING/ CARING FOR HIS BIRDS TO PROTECT THE SKIN ON HIS HANDS--- USED THE SAME GLOVES FOR EVERYTHING= CROSS CONTAMINATED. SO IF YOU HANDLE YOUR BIRDS DO SO JUST AS YOU WOULD FEED THEM--- FROM CLEANEST TO DIRTIEST OR TAKE APPROPRIATE STEPS TO KEEP FROM CROSS CONTAMINATING THEM AS YOU WILL BE THE MODE OF TRANSMISSION.

AS FOR THE DEVILS ADVOCATE AND SEEMINGLY UNFOUNDED CLAIMS--- RE-READ THE VERY ARTICLE YOU SITE EARLIER "good husbandry, strict biosecurity, all in-all out program, raise own breeder replacement, and do not mix ages or species. Most outbreaks occur as a result of mixing flocks. If you have an outbreak, segregate birds by age, etc.," THAT RIGHT THERE IS YOUR CONFIRMATION STATEMENT FROM YOUR WISHED FOR PhD. I BELEIVE THE KEY STATEMENT IS "DO NOT MIX AGES OR SPECES"

REMEMBER LOTSA FOLKS WIN WHILE IN VEGAS, BUT A LOT MORE LOOSE. A GAMBLE IS A GAMBLE NO MATTER WHATS AT STAKE OR WHERE THE GAME IS HELD.

I HOPE THIS HELPS
smile.png
NO MATTER HOW YOU MANAGE YOUR FLOCK I WISH ALL THE BEST OF SUCESS AND NO COMPLICATIONS SUCH AS THIS 1! HAVING BEEN THROUGH THIS ONCE A LONG TIME AGO I KNOW WHAT AN EXPENSIVE AGREVATION IT IS AND WOULDNT WISH IT ON ANYONE EXCEPT MAYBE A POLITICIAN OR MY EX
smile.png

This is an exceptionally helpful educational post. I have been researching quail and what exactly most people use them for. I also am going to be getting my chickens back in May. It may be more hassle than it is worth to have both types of birds on my property. Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

"Well I have raised my quail and chickens together for years, and have never had any problems"

Well, some people drink and drive on a regular basis, and have never gotten a DUI or gotten in an accident. BUT, if you continue to drink and drive, eventually you will end up in jail, kill yourself, or kill someone else. So if there is sufficient evidence out there of chickens passing diseases to gamebirds, why would anyone with half a mind continue to raise them together? And if you don't have the money to build a seperate enclosure for your gamebirds, you shouldnt even have them in my opinion. Even if they are being raised for meat production, it still is unfair to the birds to allow the opportunity for this to happen. Be smart and learn from others mistakes. Why keep playing with fire if you know what can happen? Thanks for all the informative posts in this topic; I don't raise any chickens, but enjoyed reading all the posts so I can pass this knowledge onto other people who don't know this. I just bought some quail the other day from a guy who kept chicken with his gamebirds, and I told him you weren't supposed to do that, and he was also one of those people that said, "I know, but I haven't had any problems yet". It just makes no sense to me to wait until the problem occurs before you resolve it, if you have be given sufficient warning and have had the opportunity to take preventative measures.

Bumping this topic since it's the most asked question in the quail section and because for some reason it's never been made a sticky even though many have asked several times

James your right everybody who raises quails should read this topic...
Bio-Security is so important when raising poultry...waterfowl... and Gamebirds on the same property...having to put animals down because of illness is preventable in many cases if proper husbandry and Bio-Security is practiced ....

Sorry don't want to hurt your retirement plan James...TwoCrows...yourself and many others are getting writers cramps from posting answers to the same question week after week after week....

Ok this has really opened my eyes....as a newbie to chickens I thought it would be cute to have different critters in with them. Rabbits, duck, and just found a good deal on some quail. I am guilty of the it will work for me and have put a duck and two rabbits in the chicken shed with free access to the fenced 20 foot by 50 foot yard. I am now considering moving out the rabbits and duck after reading this. I guess my question would be if I built another area (10 foot away) more aviary style would this be considered safe for the quail and chickens? Second can the duck and rabbits go in or should I make ANOTHER yard for each? How should I work this? I hate the idea of putting the rabbits (two Cali) in a small cage I like the fact they live like normal bunnies they tend to hang out under the nesting box where the chickens can't go and happily hop around the yard and sun whatnot. And the lone duck whom was given to me ugh......I guess I had a picture in my head of a happy little barnyard with everyone living peacefully and happily together which they are I unfortunately have not takin the risk of disease seriously but after reading this thread have decided not to continue on keeping everyone together. HELP :he and if I build an aviary for the quail are pheasants and peafowl welcome as I plan on having turkey, peafowl, pheasants, guinea fowl ect. Do they all need there own areas?

Back
Top Bottom