he's got me shaking in my boots! NOT NO MORE!

I've cured 2 roosters by walking after them, making them move, if they stop-nudging them to move, for 15 minutes a day. Do not back off, do not smack them and then leave. YOU need to make them move for those 15 minutes every day, and not let him do anything but move. After a week, mine were fine, one was fine after 3 days. If you just smack him away, then leave, he has won. If you back off, he has won. If you can dictate what he can and cannot do, you win.

Quote:
We love our cochin roo.
Not a mean bone in his body, and he takes excellent care of his flock.
I do believe that there is soemthing to be said about our body language around roos though.
It can leave us wide open to attack if they sense that we do not like them or trust them.

I have six roosters right now, and they are all somewhat tame, bantams being total pets. The others actually belong to a neighbor, but I take care of them and pick them up all the time. All beautiful and loveable. The three big ones are one each of White Crested Black Polish, RIR and an Araucana.
smile.png

Pick up and love your roosters, it works. They are really loveable and cuddly animals.
smile.png

I loved my other roo, when he was little I could put him on my shoulder and walk around. I think that just told him that I was a hen.

I went outside before to confront my roo, he was chicken. He seen that I was ticked and ran BUT when my back turned boy he was right there.

Mine started doing that but I give him a few swift kicks (of course not real hard but enough where he knew he was NOT boss that I was) with my boot and he never did it again. But he did do it to my 4 yr old son she he went to a new home.

I had a rooster that would fly at me whenever I turned my back. Never attacked from the front or side, but he would run all the way across the yard to try to get me from behind. He was a big chicken! (pun intended). Unfortunately he was injured in a raccoon attack and had to be put down, so I never got a chance to try to retrain him. Now I have two buff rock roos who are very nice. Not tame, but calm. They will follow me anywhere for a handful of scratch.

Quote:
This is what I do with any that I raise from chicks. Start right in the brooder and show them I'm the boss bird and not to cross me. They don't get hurt, I don't get hurt, and they don't try to jump my kids. Been years since I had a grown rooster try me or jump one of my kids if I raised him from a chick.

.....Alan.

I'm sorry for the problems you are having with your roosters. My advice to you is to get tough! You need to show him you are the boss. If he even looks at you, kick him into next week, and chase him until he realizes you are boss. Get a big stick, and chase him all over. Don't let him end it, you quit when you've accomplished your goal. Keep him from the feed until all the hens have eaten. Pick him up, and tuck him under your arm while you do chores. Don't let him down if he struggles.

Remember, he can really hurt you, but it's pretty hard to hurt him. Roosters are the only animals that I've been told to "fight back" against. Do it with all your strength-you are the boss, and he needs to know this. Hopefully if you keep this up, you can safely walk around the coop, and the roo will keep his distance. Good luck.

So far all of my EE roos were called soup, Rhode Island reds seem to be pretty calm as well as my cochin. I hear that buff orphingtons are gentle..

I raised both ee from day olds, but they became very aggressive...

Mary

If I go to chase him he jumps up into my face (well my chest).

I'm getting RIR this may hopefully he'll be nice. I also plan on getting a white leghorn roo, how are they as far as aggresive?

Back
Top Bottom