Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Chili

2-28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes (I used the ones with purée in them, but have used without)

2-tomato cans of water 3/4 full

3-packets of chili seasoning mix. I used the mild, but prefer the spicy. Family (wife) doesn't care for spicy stuff, so we agree on the mild.

2- lbs 80-20 ground beef browned. Deer meat is best but I'm not much of a hunter and do not get much ground deer meat. I hunt in Wal-Marts meat section.

3-15 oz cans of Pork-N-Beans

Mix altogether and simmer until flavors are blended and chili is good and warm.
Turns out a little thin, I haven't figured out how to thicken without changing the taste.
This is good over anything that is good with chili.

Would it be thick enough if you skip adding all that water? Maybe only one can of water 3/4 full, swish around and then pour into the other can, swish around - then into your chili. Tomato paste would thicken it nicely, but would add more tomato taste...
And if you like it spicy, sprinkle a little bit of ground chipotle chili powder on your bowl at the table. Yum!

Would it be thick enough if you skip adding all that water?  Maybe only one can of water 3/4 full, swish around and then pour into the other can, swish around - then into your chili.  Tomato paste would thicken it nicely, but would add more tomato taste...
And if you like it spicy, sprinkle a little bit of ground chipotle chili powder on your bowl at the table.  Yum! 

Yeah probably would. I thought of that after I posted it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

After 15 very intense minutes of hacking away I finally managed to de-skin a pomelo without cutting any of the segments. Eh, next time I probably won't bother.
lau.gif

Tonight we will eat: stuffed peppers, creamed spinach, mashed potatoes preceded by a bib lettuce/mozzarella/ tomato salad with balsamic vinaigrette for dressing. I am hungry.
droolin.gif

edited to mention the strawberry short cake that we will have for dessert - oh the joy!

Last edited:
I'm having a redo on the tomato/mozzarella salad with balsamic vinaigrette. With that I will make a T - bone steak on the grill, potato/onion pancakes and left over creamed spinach.

Oh yeah, more strawberry short cake for dessert.
droolin.gif

Strawberry shortcake......
droolin.gif

We're having zucchini casserole and devilled eggs.

Desert is some mystery unlabeled quick breads I pulled from the freezer. One appears to be lemon poppyseed, the other might be lemon blueberry. Or could be zucchini chocolate chip
hmm.png

Last edited:
My family told me they'd eat pretty much anything if I put chocolate chips in it. It has cinnamon for flavoring, and only a handful or two of chocolate chips.

But I'm pretty sure this loaf is (was) lemon blueberry. Funny thing is, there's only about a quarter of the loaf left, and none of the guys have told me what kind it is
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom