Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Quote:

Thanks, I'll try it next time.
big_smile.png

Tonignt we had beef fajitas...pre-prepared fajita ingredients I got from the Kroger meat dept.
Normally we make our own but it was late and I was lazy and we were tired of fast food and frozen food and pasta. So, bought this..less money than fast food and probably better for us. It was really good; two lbs of the fajita mix fed (barely) three people.

Last night we had Dutch Babies with raspberry pastry filling. We bought the filling to use for Christmas cookies but never got around to making. Dutch Babies were really good; I was looking for ways to use up some eggs; hens have already picked up egg production, getting an early start!.

It's a miserable, cold, crappy, rainy day here in NJ so I'm working a little harder at tonight's meal. I will be making beef paprikas with dumplings and creamed spinach. I think I'm going to also make some crescent rolls. Carbs be darned!

I would love the recipe to that Rhubarb and strawberry crisp... I used to love that pie when I was a kid... cannot find one that is good .... I love apple crisp so the Rhubarb might just be great.

Quote:

I made rice pudding using qinoa instead of rice.
We are inundated with eggs right now. So I am also making pickled eggs. I use leftover pickling vinegar that I bottled last summer, heat it up, pour it over about 1 dozen hard boiled eggs in a quart jar, put the lid on and refridgerate for about 1 week. Makes a great snack. You can also use leftover pickle juice to do this.

Quote:

My Mother used to make it, too, she grew her own rhubarb and I loved it. Here's the recipe, I used; I improvised a bit from the original:

1 C light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 C all purpose flour
3/4 C quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 C melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
4 C sliced rhubarb
1 C granulated sugar
2 TBSP cornstarch
1 C water
1 tsp vanilla

( I used dark brown sugar instead of light brown, and 2 C each of sliced rhubarb and strawberries)

In mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, butter and cinnamon. Mix together until crumbly. Press half the brown sugar and oats mixture into a buttered 8 inch square baking dish. Top with the sliced strawberries/ rhubarb.

In a saucepan combine 1 C granulated sugar, cornstarch, and the 1 C water and vanilla. Cook together until clear (it turns syrup-y) then pour over rhubarb/ strawberries. Top rhubarb with remaining crumb mixture and bake at 350 for 45 to 55 minutes.

My family really liked this, the first thing my daughter said was "grandma used to make this, didn't she?". Nice memories.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom