HOA is forcing me to get rid of chickens

and reference this line,

or other generally recognized household pets of a reasonable number, provided that they are not kept, bred, or maintained for any commercial purpose.

they don't list a specific number, just reasonable number
It goes on to say that "no more than 4 adult animals kept on a single lot" and that's a pretty specific number. I think the first question an attorney is going to ask you is if you signed the HOA contract. When you say "yes" the next question will be, "And did you read it or have an attorney go over it first?" Now, I don't see why you couldn't go to the HOA and ask for a hearing to present your case. But that's always a little harder to do after you've already violated their rules. It's tough to convince them that if they'll just grant you an exception or a variance, pr even change the rules for backyard poultry, you'll be good and do exactly what the rules say when you've already proven that you don't really follow the ones already in existence.

I don't like HOAs for so many reasons. What seems like a doable contract when you first fall in love with a house or a neighborhood can suddenly become not-so-desirable as your family's interests and needs change. Most people living in an HOA simply don't want to live around poultry and livestock, and those restrictions are part of the reason they moved there instead of a nice acreage out of town. I wish there was an easy answer for you. I know your son will be heartbroken. There's a tough life lesson in there for him....read what you sign and honor your signature. But it still stinks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom