HOA Rules--What will they do??

lhayes1976

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Louisville, KY
I know that poultry is not allowed in our neighborhood, but I have read the bylaws and I cannot find what the HOA's course of action would be. There is so much "legaleeze", I cannot understand. I just cannot find it anywhere. Do they fine, place a lien, evict?

You would have to ask your HOA yourself, which would sorta defeat your own purpose. I'd say don't do it. Not worth it. Move, or live with your current regs.

Oh, I am already illegal. Just wondering what they will do if I get caught. I have three hens in a coop/run which is also inside a 24ft square garden fence. You cannot see them, just a little bit of the top of the coop. I was going to pretty much ignore them if they say something, but if it gets too serious , I can give them to my son.

What they can/will do depends on hte rights granted to the HOA in your documents. At the very least, they can sue you to correct the violation, and if found in their favour, you can end up being assessed all costs (your attorney, their attorney, court fees, etc.). They may be able to fine you large amounts, which can accumulate daily.

Some states allow them to file a lien on your property and foreclose on it if not settled within a specified timeframe.

Now these are worst case scenarios; some HOAs will do nothing, or choose an easier path. You see/know how other rules are/aren't enforced; expect any rules relating to poultry to be handled similarly.

I'm in the same boat. My city and my HOA outlaw chickens. I have asked all my neighbors if they would mind hearing a little clucking coming from my yard. they all give their consent. But what if some one gets mad at me. I'm still considering it.

Back
Top Bottom