HOAs are for the birds... except when they're not.

Really, people are calling the health department on you for chickens? How pathetic. I wonder how much free time those people would have if they spent it doing something constructive instead of focusing on other people's lives and properties.I often wonder that about our own HOA board members. It must be nice to have nothing better to do than to create conflict.
Yup. The health department came out and inspected the coop and all was in order. The same neighbors called the zoning board on me too.

Since it is right across the road I would fence off an area closest to the HOA busybody and get some ROOSTERS

Gary
Hah! If they don't like "the idea" of chickens, they REALLY aren't going to like the goats and sheep. Having 11 acres opens up a whole new world for me. I've always wanted a mini farm - my new property is zoned for exactly that! First the chickens, then maybe I'll get lucky next spring and get some of those goats like you see on youtube screaming like people. And then some ducks. Hopefully really loud ducks. What's the loudest farm animal? I need a couple.

I ALMOST got really petty. On the opposite side of our neighborhood, a house just came up for sale. It's a 5 acre estate parcel that is long and narrow and borders almost the entire length of the backside of our neighborhood - backing up to where 2 out of the 3 board members live. It's a beautiful house but we really liked the idea of having 11 acres over 5 and being able to custom build our own house. Otherwise, we would have bought that house, stuck the coop as close as I could to the property line (I think the county requires it to be 10-20 feet in) and had a whole flock of roosters. It would be glorious.

Get peafowl. The peacocks are really loud during mating season I hear. I like their call.
One up the road from me says
MeeYAAH! MEE YAHHHH!

When I was a kid our neighbors had a gorgeous white peacock, but his call sounded like a woman yelling "HELP!" And the cops were called to their house. Not to complain about the bird, it was because someone thought they had kidnapped a lady that had recently gone missing at the time. Yikes haha

And on that note, tomorrow morning we close on 11 acres of land right across the street from our home. We will eventually build a new home there and sell our HOA home. No more restrictions, no more nonsense.
But in the meantime, say hello to Chicken Farm Acres. :yesss: Take that, HOA.

It must be tempting to put your new Bachelor Pad coop right along the road. :lau

Set up an egg stand so your former neighbors can learn to love fresh eggs and boot out the tyrants when they reach a critical mass of people.

That sounds exactly like our area. 80% of the homes here are very old - think 50s-70s homes that aren't remodeled or even well maintained. The other 20% are mid 90s or new construction - all in HOAs. So you basically have to choose - HOA or total remodel/demolition project. Or have the money to buy land and build. At the time, we didn't have that kind of money. Honestly even now we don't have the cash to pay the asking prices of these 5-10 acre parcels in the area which are very hard to come by. Closing on our 11 acres this week must have been meant to be because it's literally right across the street from our home AND the owners were open to owner financing. It'll be a year or two before we can afford to build - we want to be able to pay off the land first before anything else - but knowing there's an end goal in sight is good enough for me.

I think it's insane that you can't even put up a fence on your own property because they want everyone's yard to look natural. That would totally make me mad.
The only way around that one would be to get a swimming pool...they must be fenced so little kids won't wander in & drown. Get a nice in ground or reasonably priced above ground pool & say goodbye to the no fence rule.

Yup. The health department came out and inspected the coop and all was in order. The same neighbors called the zoning board on me too.
What goes around comes around...Those miserable people put misery out, so therefore they will get more & more misery coming to them in their lives, as well they should.

Back
Top Bottom