Hog Panels

If you're only getting one then it would very much behoove you to do it "right" with well-set poles, center t-posts and proper fencing staples/clips for attachment. Pigs are social animals, keeping a solitary hog predisposes them to mischief that they may not otherwise partake in if they had a companion. It also compromises growth rate as they are competitive feeders. Of course all of the above and another pig is really the best scenario.

LotsaChicken -- have you trained your pigs to the electric? If so how? They don't have a great back-up button, so to speak. When they get popped they run through the electric until they figure out what it is. If you train them by running the electric inside a hard pen first they will not test it after they figure out what it is, but they must learn without the opportunity to run through it to begin with. If you've got a good fencer once they're trained to know what the wire is they won't touch it. They will come up and sniff it to see if it's still working, so you have to stay on top of fence maintenance, but if it's kept working and gives a good shock you won't have any trouble.

The pig pen hes in know is 24x19 and theres other pigs with him. I am going to be adding onto it with the panels and he will still be able to see and rub noises with the other pigs. The pigs get turned loose everyday into a 6acre field and come in at night with feed.

Thanks,
RIRs

Quote:
I've raised pigs for about 15 years, I've tried electric on a few different occasions, including using a line inside of the hard fence, on the few occasions that we have had one that was a fence crasher. It just never worked for us. It could be because of the terrain. We raise them as natural as possible in bushy, grassy fields. When we have first turned electric on, they've respected it, but I think eventually a weed, or branch falls on it and grounds it out...they find it off and push through it. After that it's been nothing, but trouble. So we keep them in hard wire now. It's just not worth the hassle for us, even though I would love to move a few around in the woods to keep the brush down in areas we're cutting firewood off trying to clear. I've been thinking of just building a few smaller farrow pens in those areas. I'm breeding one of my Hampshire gilts to a Duroc boar this week....hoping for red babies!!

Ahh, yep, takes a strong, low impedance fencer that can take a lot of weeds and stuff and regular fence maintenance.
smile.png

Good luck on your cross.

Back
Top Bottom