Homeade (Organic) Gluten-Free Chicken Feed - Is My Recipe Good?!

TheBantyCoop

Songster
Jun 9, 2015
The California Coast
Hello all! I recently got four bantam chicks
jumpy.gif
and I am not sure what is best to feed them when they grow up
D.gif
. Right now they are on an organic chick starter, but I am not sure what to put them on after that. My biggest problem is that I want a Gluten-free feed and most of the organic feeds I find contain wheat/gluten as one of the first ingredients.
barnie.gif
I myself and other members of my family have a gluten intolerance, so I would really like to avoid wheat/gluten in their feed.

Eventually I decided that it would be fun to make my own feed, but then I realized how hard it can be to do that! After a while and a lot of research I came up with this recipe:

4 cups organic yellow split peas
4 cups organic oats
1 cup organic kelp
1 cup organic chia
1 cup organic dried mealworms

Based on this one:

My questions are:

1. Is this a good recipe for adult birds? (with grit and oyster shells also available)
2. Can I use it as a developer feed?
3. Should I alter the recipe at all? (Like by taking something out, adding something, changing the amounts, etc)
4. Do you know of a company that produces organic and gluten free feed for layers?

Thank you for your help!
big_smile.png

And sorry that I am obsessed with these emoticons!
yippiechickie.gif

I apologize for not being any help here. I wonder if there is a site that can help? Anyone know of one? I just feed my bantams the chick feed at first, then on to the reg. feed. They have done well eating reg. chicken food. Here is one of my cute little white bantam cochins. I just love her.
She also is free ranging for a while during the day now.

I'm sorry I have no idea re: recipes for chicken feed. As a human, I know I don't eat healthy. I think another bycer OZEXPAT does make his own feed mixtures, I don't know if they are gluten-free . He is very detail oriented and figures out every iota of nutrition etc.

Sorry that I took a while all. I had no idea that people were so quick to respond!

Diva what is OZEXPAT? I mean is it like a website, another user, or something? Sorry I don't know what a bycer is either.

Thank you for replying so fast!!
woot.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom