Homemade flock block recipes

Quote:
hi..here is the recipe..

Ingredients:..Bread slices, wild bird seed,Black sun flower seeds, (you can also use scratch, oatmeal, wheat germ, grits, whatever you want to use!..)

In a large mixing bowl..wet the bread slices..add the seed and scratch..(whatever you choose to add)...mix all the ingredients together(with your hands)..the wet bread is the binder..it makes a kind of dough....grease a microwave safe baking pan...add the bread/seed mixture to the pan...press down tightly with a spatula...put in microwave oven for 5 minutes..keep testing hardness with finger(it will take about 20 minutes total...)...when you feel it is hard enough..take out and let cool...it will harden even more...if you greased the pan enough..it will pop right out of the pan in one solid block..they love it!

Last edited:
Quote:
Honey and molasses both worry me. I believe molasses is a mild laxative and I wouldn't use honey for the same reason.
Egg would probably be a better binder.

for mine..the bread binds it together very tightly...

Yeah mine seems pretty hard, although I can break it apart with my hands.
The oatmeal helped I think.

Quote:
Honey and molasses both worry me. I believe molasses is a mild laxative and I wouldn't use honey for the same reason.
Egg would probably be a better binder.

I regularly use molasses flakes in the girls feed-no problem with the runs here-and so healthy for them!!!!
wee.gif
For that matter, so would honey, but the molasses is great for their health and will keep them healthy for a good many years!!!
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom