Homemade GUMP Bread - best I've found! **New pics added on pg. 5**

Quote:
WHEW! I'm glad I'm not the only one this happend to! Here I thought I did something wrong
hmm.png
I think it was the humidity too.

Hey PC - I use 1 cup of whole wheat and 4 cups of bread flour and it tastes to me almost like a sour-dough bread - did yours? I do have to add more water though when I use whole wheat flour however... it just gets too weighted down and doesnt want to mix.

Quote:
WHEW! I'm glad I'm not the only one this happend to! Here I thought I did something wrong
hmm.png

Hey PC - I use 1 cup of whole wheat and 4 cups of bread flour and it tastes to me almost like a sour-dough bread - did yours? I do have to add more water though when I use whole wheat flour however... it just gets too weighted down and doesnt want to mix.

letting bread rise TOO LONG will also cause this. it will rise too much then cave in and be very heavy. the sour dough taste is a clue that it may have risen too long, or proofed too long. hope this helps a bit.

Quote:
good luck Jen. Is your kitchen warm today? If you warm the kitchen up a bit it will take care of the humidity. I use a thermometer in my water to be sure it isn't too hot or too cold, I also warm my metal bowl that the yeast mixture is going into with some hot water then empty it. I do the same for my measuring cups now that it is so darned cold..in the single digits here this morning. Let us know how it turns out for you.
fl.gif

Quote:
hmm.png

letting bread rise TOO LONG will also cause this. it will rise too much then cave in and be very heavy. the sour dough taste is a clue that it may have risen too long, or proofed too long. hope this helps a bit.

Oh NO! I accidentally hit the "report" button vs. quote LOL! I hit the big red X up top so it stopped it
fl.gif
I hope
hmm.png
Sorry!

Miss Jayne - no.. I meant that crossing the wheat and white makes the bread taste different - almost like a sourdough to me
smile.png
But I get what you're saying too.

Did you see my other post to you re: hamburger/hotdog rolls??

Hey, just wanted to say that I made this recipe. Only change was the addition of 8 tsp. vital wheat gluten, which I add to bread recipes out of habit any more.

It was absolutely delicious and took 1/2 the time of my other favorite recipe. It was also super super easy. Tasted just like the Nichols Italian Bread of my childhood.

I bake a LOT of yeast breads and this is truly one of the better recipes I've found. It's a keeper! Thank you so much for sharing it. Anyone nervous about making yeast bread should try this one. It would be ideal for a first attempt.

Erika

Check the date on your yeast. I have gotten yeast from the grocery and it has been expired or near expiration. This will cause your bread not to rise properly.

Also, you need a warm place for the dough to proof. If your room is in the 60's it won't rise as much as a room in the 70's.

Turn your oven on to pre-heat BEFORE you begin with the dough. Once you are finished with the dough set the lightly covered bowl on your stove top. The warmth of the stove should get those little yeasties moving and get your bread rising.

Back
Top Bottom