Homemade GUMP Bread - best I've found! **New pics added on pg. 5**

I made bread bowls out of my gump bread to serve soup in this weekend. Dusted them with flour before I baked for that "rustic" look. They turned out wonderful. How can you not love gump bread?!!!
droolin.gif

Quote:
I saw a recipe on either Flylady or the frugal website where you take a chunk of it, probably about the size of a walnut, after the first raise, cut a precooked sausage link in a piece and roll the dough around it. Let it rise and bake. Doesn't that sound just great, and I don't even care for sausage that much . . .great take along breakfast!!!!

That was here on BYC!
smile.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mini Sausage Kolachies

1-1/2-cups water
2 tablespoons instant powdered milk
1 tablespoon white sugar
1-teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
4 cups all-purpose flour
1-tablespoon active dry yeast

Place ingredients into bread machine in order listed and select the dough cycle. When the dough has risen to the top of the pan remove it pinch off a piece of dough the size of a large walnut and stick a room temperature Little Sizzler Sausage in the dough and close.

Rise and bake at 350° 40 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack.

Quote:
No, I didn't take any pics. I made a bread bowl out of each loaf which was alittle too big. I would make 2 bread bowls out of 1 loaf. Instead of rolling it out, just shape the dough like you do for the first rise. It is really a no brainer. After it baked, I pulled out some of the middle and toasted it for crutons, buttered and toasted the inside and used garlic butter for the lid and toasted it before I served the soup. Mmmmmmm! Why does bread have to be soooo good!
smile.png

I make this bread a lot and calculated some nutrition info

Two 1/2 inch slices from a regular size loaf pan have

129 calories
27 calories from fat
3 g of fat
22.9 grams of carbs

I thought that was pretty low for good homemade bread.
Of course the butter is what kills ya!
big_smile.png

I CANNOT bake bread. It even flops in the bread machine.
barnie.gif
I was feeling brave yesterday and thought I'd try Gump's bread. It turned out WONDERFULLY! I couldn't believe it. Delicious! Thanks.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom