Homemade GUMP Bread - best I've found! **New pics added on pg. 5**

Quote:
I have made this bread several times and it turns out great. Then, I too, tried the cinnamon rolls and got the same results as you. Stuck to the pan in carmelized sugar, light brown, hard rolls. I'll be watching for an answer but wanted to let you know you're not alone.
tongue.png

Quote:
I have made this bread several times and it turns out great. Then, I too, tried the cinnamon rolls and got the same results as you. Stuck to the pan in carmelized sugar, light brown, hard rolls. I'll be watching for an answer but wanted to let you know you're not alone.
tongue.png

Hi,

Thank you so much for your comment! Since the Gump bread was only my second attempt at baking bread from "scratch" (used a bread machine before this), I was really starting to be proud of myself about how well it went.

I even ordered some breadmaking supplies on line, including a baking stone and a peel from Amazon, and some special flours and products from King Arthur. My neighbor has a hankering for homemade rye bread (tried it before in my bread machine and it wasn't any good), but King Arthur offers a Deli Rye Flavoring that comes highly recommended and some rye flour, so I purchased that, among other things.

When the cinnamon rolls failed so miserably, I was getting very discouraged that I spent the money on these other supplies. I sure do have a lot invested into getting good bread!

I'm sorry you had such a dismal experience with the cinnamon rolls also, but I feel much better that it isn't just me. Let's hope we have better luck in the future!
smile.png
Genie

Quote:
tongue.png

Hi,

Thank you so much for your comment! Since the Gump bread was only my second attempt at baking bread from "scratch" (used a bread machine before this), I was really starting to be proud of myself about how well it went.

I even ordered some breadmaking supplies on line, including a baking stone and a peel from Amazon, and some special flours and products from King Arthur. My neighbor has a hankering for homemade rye bread (tried it before in my bread machine and it wasn't any good), but King Arthur offers a Deli Rye Flavoring that comes highly recommended and some rye flour, so I purchased that, among other things.

When the cinnamon rolls failed so miserably, I was getting very discouraged that I spent the money on these other supplies. I sure do have a lot invested into getting good bread!

I'm sorry you had such a dismal experience with the cinnamon rolls also, but I feel much better that it isn't just me. Let's hope we have better luck in the future!
smile.png
Genie

It's not the Gump bread that's the problem it's probably your filling, if you use just butter, sugar and cinnamon it's going to caramelize easier than if you use other ingredients to keep the sugar from cooking so much.

This is my normal cinnamon roll recipe and as you can see the bread part of the recipe is not all that different from the Gump bread.

Cinnamon Rolls
Allrecipes.com and tweaked by me
smile.png

Ingredients
· 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
· 1/2 cup flour
· 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
· 1/2 cup butter, cold
·
· 1-1/4 cups hot water
· 4 tablespoons instant powdered milk
· 2 eggs
· 3 tablespoons oil
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 cup white sugar
· 4 1/2 cups bread flour
· 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
·
· 3 cups confectioners' sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· Enough water to bring to spreading consistency

Directions
1. Combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon then cut in butter and place in refrigerator until needed.
2. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
3. After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
4. Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch-baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°
5. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, put your frosting together. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.

1945CinnamonRolls001.jpg

1945CinnamonRolls002.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi,

smile.png
Genie

It's not the Gump bread that's the problem it's probably your filling, if you use just butter, sugar and cinnamon it's going to caramelize easier than if you use other ingredients to keep the sugar from cooking so much.

This is my normal cinnamon roll recipe and as you can see the bread part of the recipe is not all that different from the Gump bread.

Cinnamon Rolls
Allrecipes.com and tweaked by me
smile.png

Ingredients
· 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
· 1/2 cup flour
· 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
· 1/2 cup butter, cold
·
· 1-1/4 cups hot water
· 4 tablespoons instant powdered milk
· 2 eggs
· 3 tablespoons oil
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 cup white sugar
· 4 1/2 cups bread flour
· 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
·
· 3 cups confectioners' sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· Enough water to bring to spreading consistency

Directions
1. Combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon then cut in butter and place in refrigerator until needed.
2. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
3. After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
4. Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch-baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°
5. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, put your frosting together. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww88/TheChickenLady/1945CinnamonRolls001.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww88/TheChickenLady/1945CinnamonRolls002.jpg

I JUST had lunch. But mmmmm! Those look delicious! I will give that a try very soon. And yes, I only used butter, sugar and cinnamon
hide.gif
THANKS!!

I looked through a bunch of the 105 pages on this thread....I have a kitchenaid, but just got it and am unsure how long to mix/knead your gump bread. I do have the dough hook. What speed, 2? How long? Thanks and sorry if this was posted earlier and I couldn't find it.

hi deanawo, i use my kitchenaid and im really not the one to answer cause i always feel like i should ask the same question. i start on the 1, change to the 2, mix it up, raise the bowl, lower the bowl, play around like that for i think about 5 min, the next time 8 min and it always turns out wonderful.. sometimes i just put it on the 2 and leave it alone, and still it's just great. Sooo, im guessing i'll be comming on to check what someone else has to say.. :)

Quote:
Awww! I wish you lived close to me. I have mine for 25 years and have almost never used it!
hide.gif
It's like brand new. I must be the only one - I mix most things by hand.
hu.gif

Quote:
Awww! I wish you lived close to me. I have mine for 25 years and have almost never used it!
hide.gif
hu.gif

I can't imagine...I wanted one for 15 years and couldn't afford it. Mine was a gift from my mom and I nearly fell over in shock when the UPS man brought it. I cried even. I have used it every day since.

Quote:
hide.gif
hu.gif

I can't imagine...I wanted one for 15 years and couldn't afford it. Mine was a gift from my mom and I nearly fell over in shock when the UPS man brought it. I cried even. I have used it every day since.

Thanks guys, my husband surprised me with it about 8 years ago. I am so disappointed in it. I know it has to be a fluke for them to give out that soon. I should have been able to "pass it down". I am so used to it that I can't imagine having to make bread without it now. TipsyDog that is so very, very generous of you and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for such an offer. I wish you lived closer, too. LOL

Back
Top Bottom