Homemade GUMP Bread - best I've found! **New pics added on pg. 5**

Quote:
It's the whole wheat flour. Try adding some vital wheat gluten - about 1 TBL per cup of WW flour.

Where do you find the wheat gluten at?

Quote:
It may be your yeast is old......or it may be that the place where you put the bread to rise was not warm enough. Bread doesn't like cold and it doesn't like drafts.....that's why I always put my bread in the oven with the oven light on to rise. With a bread like Gump bread that doesn't take
long to rise, you definitely need a warm place. I turned my oven on for about a minute and then turned it back off before puting the bread in to rise and the oven light keeps it the perfect temperature

Check your yeast..did you proof it first?

I just had a great idea for you guys who like to make cinnamon rolls out of the Gump bread. Make bacon cinnamn rolls.

Roll out the dough and put the cinnamon and sugar on it like usual. Cut the dough in strips with a pizza cutter the width you want your cinnamon roll to be. Lay a piece of bacon on the strip before you roll it up and put it in the pan to proof.

If you have never had a bacon cinnamon roll........you are going to think you have died and gone to heaven. I've only ever made them with cinnamon roll dough out of a can, but the Gump bread has got to be so much better.

69212_bacon_cinnamon_roll.jpg

69212_baconcinn.jpg

Actually the wheat was a bit bigger then the all bread flour. Post 1057 I used all bread flour, and post 1060 I used half wheat and half all purpose ( I had bread flour but accidentally grabbed that).

I have a new jar of yeast I opened with the first batch post 1057. It is quick rise yeast does that matter?

I don't have an oven light in there but I did have the oven on warm and put them in there to rise the second time not the first time I just left in my mixer bowl but I did cover it. Hmmmm.....I guess I will keep trying. The dough the first time seemed too sticky....the dough the second seemed right texture.

Quote:
It's the whole wheat flour. Try adding some vital wheat gluten - about 1 TBL per cup of WW flour.

Where do you find the wheat gluten at?

Better groceries or specialty kitchen stores usually have it. Amish stores carry it, or you can order it from the King Arthur Flour website.

Last edited:
Well. Gumpsgirl has done it to me. Another gump bread junkie. Today I've made Gump stromboli with kielbasa, mozzarella and cheddar and with the other half of the recipe I made dinner rolls.

I rolled up the gump bread with chopped kielbasa that I tossed with onion powder, garlic salt and crushed red pepper flakes, shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese, and oiled the top with olive oil.

The dinner rolls I just formed into little rolls by turning the pieces of dough into itself to form a ball, brushing with olive oil and rolling in sesame seeds.

The smell that wafted out of the oven would drive you crazy, I'm sure my neighbors think I've started a pizza parlor or something.
It came out very well. I'm very pleased.

69212_keilbasa_gump.jpg

69212_rolls_and_keilbasa_gump.jpg

69212_out_of_the_oven.jpg

69212_finished_bread.jpg

The garlic and onion and crushed red pepper flaxes added a nice layer of flavor and the cheese is really good with the bread.

I baked the rolls on the same sheet as the bread but I took them out at about 25 minutes and left the bread in for another 10-15 minutes because of the stuffings. That seemed to work really well.

Back
Top Bottom