Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

My notifications at the top of my profile was telling me I had one more subscription that had unread messages on it. I had to flip down probably 5 or 6 pages to find it.

I hope to be able to make some yogurt too. How do you get it to "jell up"? I've tried making it before but it came out thin and I don't like thin yogurt. I like yogurt you can eat with a fork (at least til you get to the bottom of the bowl).

After months of making yogurt in an old cooler, setting timers and reheating the jar of hot water used to keep the temperature up... I figured I had saved enough money not buying pre-made yogurt and sprung for a yogurt maker. This one: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-602192/euro-cuisine-2-qt-yogurt-maker.jsp

The ones that make 7 little jars of yogurt didn't do anything for me, but this one makes 2 quarts at a time in a large container. No bells or whistles. ALL it does is hold the temp around 100 degrees for as long as it's plugged in.

Just thought I'd bump up the thread and put in my recommendation for my new gadget. :)

-Wendy

My daughter gave me one of those several years ago for my birthday and I love it. I even bought an extra jar so I could make a new batch before I was completely out of the old batch. I started my original batch with a cup out of some store bought Dannon yogurt that said it had live culture. After that I just use a cup of my yogurt to start the next batch.

I like my yogurt a little on the rich side. It's more like a dessert for us. I use 6 cups of whole milk and mix in 2 cups of heavy cream. Then we eat it with fruit and a drizzle of honey.

Last edited:
I hope to be able to make some yogurt too. How do you get it to "jell up"? I've tried making it before but it came out thin and I don't like thin yogurt. I like yogurt you can eat with a fork (at least til you get to the bottom of the bowl).

One thing that might cause it to be too thin is the temperature falling too low, so that the bacteria aren't doing their jobs. So make sure you're holding it at 90-100F for the entire time. Eight hours is plenty for mine, longer than that and it gets more tart than I like.

You can also add powdered milk to increase the protein content and make it thicker. (I think... haven't tried it without, but I add 1/3 cup dry milk to each quart, and mine will sit on a fork.)

If that still doesn't work, scoop it into a strainer lined with cheesecloth or a coffee filter, and drain off the whey until it's as thick as you like -- this makes Greek yogurt.

-Wendy

Thanks for all the tips everybody!
big_smile.png

Quote: A recent batch was too thin to my liking too . . . .and thebottom layer was grainy like the mix had separated. Soooooo . . . . . the next batch I put in canning jars and put a lid on well, and over the hours I turned the jar upside down and shook it gently as long as it was liquidy,when it seems to start to thicken then I left it alone.

I have tried the extra dried milk but for somereason it stays a bit grainy, not sure what I"m doing wrong. ANd adding cream brings it to a whole nother level of yum.

I use regular powdered milk, not the instant kind, and as long as it is completely dissolved, it doesn't leave any graininess. It is a much finer powder than instant and takes longer to dissolve.

Good point-- will look for that dried milk.

Of course old dried milk is not a good choice either-- I've done that ONCE and only once. lol

A batch just finished and it took two days-- still good results. Though I find it odd that my batches take so long. Oh well.

TOday I put cranberries and orange peels in the blender with sugar, then added at bit to the yogurt. For all the intense flavor of orange and cranberries, the yogurt muted those flavors a lot.

Back
Top Bottom