Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

I do fine just incubating my yogurt in a cooler chest. I pre-warm it with hot water while I'm making the yogurt, then add more when I put the jars in. If I remember to add more hot water, I do. In the morning........yogurt.

This thread is being edited to include an index to the recipes contained here.

Ice cream

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins

Butter

Buttermilk - Cultured

Cream Cheese

Creme Fraishe

Kefir

Mozzarella Cheese

Pizza Dough

Rhubarb Sauce

Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream

Vinegar Cheese

Yogurt

Yogurt with photos

Yogurt Cheese

Low Carb Yogurt

First you need a good starter of plain yogurt culture. You can buy it dried but the best way is to buy a container of good yogurt that you like to eat. Plain yogurt. Nothing with fruit or other flavors in it. I use Stonyfeild Farms Organic plain yogurt. It has 6 different types of active yogurt cultures in it.

If you want a thick yogurt you will need a small box of powdered milk.

Cow milk or goat milk will make good yogurt.

Using quart sized mason jars - Sterilize the jars and lids.

1 quart of milk mixed with 1/3 cup powdered milk.

Using a candy thermometer heat the milk slowly to 185 degrees.

Remove from heat.

Allow to cool naturally(or set pot in a ice water bath and carefully watch the temp -it will drop fast while stirring) to 110 degrees.

Stir in 2 heaping tbsp of your plain yogurt. Mix well until all is dissolved.

Pour the mixture in your quart sized jar. Wrap in a dishtowel to insulate.

Using a second jar, fill it with boiling water. Wrap it in a dish towel to insulate.

Place both jars in a small cooler that you have heated with hot water****. Allow the yogurt to cure for 10 - 12 hours. When the milk is set to a solid it is ready. Refrigerate and serve cold.

If you do this in the morning you will have fresh yogurt for the following morning.

****Do not leave water in the cooler. Fill the cool with hot water while you are preparing everything then pour it out. You simply want a warm place to incubate your yogurt cultures.

Ok, looks like I'll be visiting here often. Looks like some good recipes!

Why not if it's been used to hatch eggs? The yogurt is in sealed jars, nothing can get in...

One of the design details for my incubator is that a quart jar must fit inside! I have all the parts, when it cools off again maybe we'll finally put it together. It will probably get used for yogurt more than it does for hatching eggs.

-Wendy
I try to not share any space used for preparing food with pets or animals (i.e. Kitchen counters, Kitchen sink, incubators, etc.). I originally though that I would sterilize the ReptiPro after hatching season in the Spring and use it for yogurt and aging cheese in the Fall and Winter. I used the ReptiPro twice for yogurt and it worked great but since egg hatched it it I haven't put any yogurt back into it. :)

Well, you guys did it to me again! Every time i look for a topic, I find myself engulfed in a massive thread...
Missprissy, thank you so much for giving us your knowledge and time.
You have another convert to the dark side, i love tart yogurt and now i am totally hooked!
I wish i could have joined when the thread started, y'all had way too much fun!!!!!

In for a penny. In for a pound. Ozark hen, you are alot like me LOL I love trying new things. I have made cottage cheese but we don't eat alot of it so it has been years since I have made it.

Cream cheese has many recipes and I haven't tried them all. Some call for milk, buttermilk and salt. Some need milk, vinegar and salt. Some use milk, whipping cream, buttermilk and rennet. Even there are more.

If you have the fresh goats milk I would love to hear your results of trying one of the simple recipes using buttermilk as the culture.

(Not my recipe - one someone gave me)

1 gallon whole milk

1 quart cultured buttermilk

1/2 teaspoon salt

Pour milk and buttermilk into a large pan and suspend the thermometer in the milk. Over medium heat stir occasionally until the termperature reads 170 degrees.

Keep the mixture on the heat and the temperature of the milk between 170 and 175 degrees.

After 30 minutes, the mixture should start to separate into curds and whey.

Line a strainer with several layers of moistened cheesecloth and set it inside a large bowl. Then lift the curds from the milk mixture and lay them in the cheesecloth. Pour the remainder of the whey through the cheesecloth.

Let curds drain at room temperature for 2 to 4 hours.

Remove the cheese from the cheesecloth. Using a food processor or the back of a good wooden spoon work the cheese until it is creamy.

Store the cheese in small containers with tight fitting lids and refrigerate.  It can also be frozen, thawed and then beaten again in blender until creamy.

You can divide the recipe in half -

1/2 gallon whole milk

1/2 quart cultured buttermilk

1/4 teaspoon salt

This makes a nice cream cheese.

How much does it make? I know it won't make 1 1/2 gallons since you're separating it but just wondering. I have been making "cream cheese" for recipes with kefir cheese and since I use so little, it works well for cooking so long as I put enough sugar in it. But if I made say, 1/2 of this recipe, how much cream cheese would i end up with?

OK experienced yogurt makers tell me if I will be wasting my time. My yogurt (Stoneyfield plain) has a sell by date of Oct 16. It has also been drained of whey but I would stir it back in if need be. My whole milk is fresh and as close to organic as I can get. Could I make a qt without the whey part or is that what activates it? Also is my yogurt too old?

OK experienced yogurt makers tell me if I will be wasting my time. My yogurt (Stoneyfield plain) has a sell by date of Oct 16. It has also been drained of whey but I would stir it back in if need be. My whole milk is fresh and as close to organic as I can get. Could I make a qt without the whey part or is that what activates it? Also is my yogurt too old?
I think you'll be fine. Truthfull, I never look at the date on my store bought yogurt. I go by smell and looks. If it smells bad or too strong, or if it's growing mold, I just feed it out to the birds. If it passes the sight and sniff tests, it's good to go in my book!

I agree. You should be fine. I have used starter from previous batches that have been in the fridge for up to 6 weeks. I even used starter from an off flavored batch once. I put the starter in just as the milk dropped below 130 deg F. in temperature and I think that was hot enough to kill the off-flavor causing bacterial because the resulting batch was as good of flavor as any batch I have made.

No, the whey doesn't do anything to turn the milk to yogurt. It is the Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus bacteria that turns the milk to yogurt. They are high temperature bacterias. Most recommendation I have seen say they can survive temperatures up to 130 deg F (which is hotter than most of the bacteria in you kitchen can withstand). They also do fine in the freezer. I usually freeze starter in ice cube tray and take out a cube at a time to make yogurt. That way I always have starter on hand and can keep it for 6 months or more if needed.

I tried some mozerella the other day and the milk I used I think was pasturized more than the label let on. It was all going according to the recipe right up to the point where you dip the curdles out of the whey and microwave them. Then it all seperated and I couldnt get it to join up, melt, and come together all smooth. I ended up with a bunch of small curdles, a bit like cottage cheese only not as smooth.

This time I am armed with a fresh pair of gloves and a different milk from a local farm that sells to the grocery's here. Ozark Mountain Creamery, which is rather costly because of the initial bottle deposit 2.25 per bottle and it only comes in half gallon sizes.

I am hoping this turns out because I would L.O.V.E to have fresh mozzerella at hand without paying 5.59 for 8oz's. Plus I dont want to have to pay a whole bunch for more "experimenting milk" LOL

Well, it seems making cheese is NOT for me.

I am sat here with burnt hands and a ball that looks kinda like mozarelle, well its white and a ball so ..Taste is all wrong, texture is all gritty. I give up ..cheese making is beyong frustrating and is no where near as easy as it looks on the internet.

Sorry if thats off putting for anyone wanting to try this. Give it a go

Back
Top Bottom