Homemade Custard Style Ice Cream

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
It is hot here today - pushing 100 in the shade.

I have 2 1/2 gallons of fresh milk from my goats in the fridge along with 3 dozen fresh eggs from a friend.

The kids needed a treat and a surprise so I pulled out the old icecream churn. This is an excellent way to use up eggs and milk.

I sent my oldest daughter to the store for 3 bags of ice.

2 qts. milk
6 eggs beaten very well
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp. pure vanilla
1 pinch salt

5 qt ice cream churn

icecream1.jpg

2 half gallon jars of fresh goats milk. This recipe required 1 half gallon of milk.

In a double boiler slowly begin to heat 1/2 gallon of milk. Add in the well beaten eggs. Mix the sugar, flour and salt together and slowly add a little at the time until you have stirred it all into the milk and there is no lumps.

icecream2.jpg

I used the thermometer to make sure my milk was properly pasturized first.

Do not let the milk mix boil but stir and let it cook until it begins to thicken. It should coat the back of a spoon when it is ready.

Remove from heat. Add the vanilla. As the mix cools get your ice cream freezer ready.

Freeze as directed.

icecream3.jpg

This churn is over 15 years old and still churning.

You can add fruit to this as well. We use peaches or bananas or strawberries or a blend of different frozen fruits. It is always good.

This is the first time we have had fresh goats milk to make icecream with. I can't even beging to tell you the incredible difference itmakes to use your vey own milk. The milk is awesome and combined with farm fresh eggs - I can't even describe with words how much better it is than commercially produced products.

It was so good we forgot to take a photo of the bowls we had after lunch.

I would also suggest serving it alongside a nice slice of the old fashion pound cake recipe posted on this forum, too. We served the ice cream on the side of a nice slice of pound cake with strawberries.

Last edited:
Girl you are killing me. LOL Thank you for sharing. I adore the yogurt. Made black berry jelly for mine.

MP rocks.

ML

Is this the same, but didn't use to heat? I remember just mixing not heating. Does goat milk divide like cow milk?? I can remember as a kid saving the cream off the jar of milk and adding that to Ice Cream mix I know I dont want to know nutritional value chart for that but it sure taste a lot better tahn Ice Milk from store.

mdbucks - This is a custard base and must be cooked to be thick and rich and smooth. In different portion ratio the egg and milk and sugar can also be cooked into 'custard' (like pudding). This is what makes this ice cream so very decadent. LOL

Goat milk has a little cream that rises to the top but it doesn't separate like cow milk does. That's why manufacturers have made a fortune on their cream separators for goat milk.

With my goats and chickens I should have enough milk and eggs that I won't have to buy very much from the dairy case. Once we invest in something to separate the cream I anticipate that cream becoming beautiful butter.

Milk and eggs, cheese and butter, sour cream ice cream, cream cheese yogurt - it can all be made at home!

ml - thank you! I am glad you are enjoying the yogurt. I just made 3 quarts yesterday. I have been guarding it so we can have for breakfast tomorrow morning.
smile.png

This sounds like the ice cream my grandmother used to make all the time. Of course, like everything else, she made it from memory and didn't measure anything (you know, throw in a handful of this and a pinch of that, etc), so this delicious treat was lost with her. I'm going to try this!!!

Thanks,
Lori

We just had frozen custard for the first time the other day. There is a stand down the road from us that sells it and man was it good!!! So smooth and thick, it was like pudding. Will definitely be trying this one!!

I really don't know about substituting juice for this one. It is really like a thick creamy egg custard when finished and I don't think you'll get that same smoothness with juice.

Back
Top Bottom