Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

I don't know 'how' or 'why' but something in the strawberry or the jar killed the starter. I have no idea what the specific reason for it is.

Ok, I tried the yogurt this morning.

It is better than the store stuff, but I'm not sure that it's going to be big around here. I put some on the freezer, and I liked it better when it was really really cold and half frozen. I'll see what dh says after lunch.

I made the yogurt yesterday. I made one jar plain, and the second one I stirred in banana cream pudding (made it with the kids in mind).

After 8 hours I checked and the plain yogurt was done. The one with the pudding was still runny, so I checked after 12 hours and it was done.

I added peach pie filling to the plain jar and it was soooo good. The banana cream pudding was good, but I still like the peach yogurt better.

I can't wait to try other flavors.

I am glad to see you all making and enjoying the yogurt. I made 3 qts. vanilla myself and it is almost gone. My kids love it.

Hey, Miss Prissy! There's a great article in the latest Newsweek written by the founder of Stonyfield Organic Yogurt. It's the Feb. 25 issue and it's on the "My Turn" page.

I made another batch Monday (yet ANOTHER snow day!
he.gif
) and i added the sugar while still hot, it worked out much tastier, although the first batch wasn't bad either. I work at a local elementary school and i've told everyone about it. Yesterday I gave a friend a tub of lemon flavored and she went nuts over it, sat right down and gobbled it up. I had to laugh, she was even more enthuastic than my kids, and that's hard to do. In her words, it was 'the bomb' !
love.gif
And to top it all off, my goats are looking ready to burst, so I will shortly have an almost unlimited supply of fresh goat milk!
yippiechickie.gif
I have 3 i'm sure are pregnant and the 4th i'm kind of doubting, but hey, they gave a gallon each, last season, so i can do 3 gallons a day, LOL Actually, between the kids (goat and 2 legged), calf, cats, dogs, hogs and poultry, it goes mighty fast, and I have to make sure I save out what I want, or we'd still be buying several gallons a week.

Okay, I have finally attempted the yogurt. First time I have felt like it. If it works for me I will have yogurt by morn. I hope it works. I will chill it when I get up and have it for a snack. The only problem I had was I used a quart of milk and when I poured into a quart jar I had another pint so I poured it in a pint jar. I used a bottle of whole milk from the store in quart size. It might have more than a quart in it. Let you know in the morn what happens.

Just wanted to let you know it turned out great. Very easy to make and i would like to try some flavors now beside vaniia

Back
Top Bottom