Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

After reading this whole thing, I'm going to the store for the candy therm, powdered milk and yogurt, I have everything else! I will do it over the weekend! Let you all know if I have success.
smile.png

If yogurt is the darkside what is yogurt, kefir, butter, ice cream, mozzarella, ricotta, and other assorted cheeses? Try making your own and you will never go back to store bought!!!

We do it all here. Of course it helps to have your own dairy cows and goats.

I agree chickenchaps. Why wreck perfectly good milk by pasteurizing it?

We are listed on realmilk.com missprissy.

I know I would be out of luck if I didn't have my own goats for milk. I know my goats are clean and we drink their milk. Have you ever noticed the after taste with goats is stronger when the milk has been heated for pasturizing? I like mine fresh and COLD!

Miss Priss - do I have to use the quart size only? the reason being I have a case of the smaller sized jars...if it has to be the quart size - no prob - I'll just go get them.
smile.png

Lunachick: I put my yogurt in smaller jelly jars (that I had emptied over the winter of their blueberry jam). They are the perfect size for carrying to work for my mid-morning breakfast. (actually, I put them in the jelly jars because the big jars were down at the barn and I didn't want to walk down and get them;))

The fats break down with that shot of heat and creates an acidic reaction. In effect you have helped make the product rancid. Nature knew what it was doing to keep milk stable.

You will also get an aftertaste in goats milk from to much grain in the diet. Throws the body PH out of whack and of course effects the stability of the milk. Less grain makes for a sweeter goat milk. Goats where never designed to be stuffed full of grain.

Back
Top Bottom