Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Quote:
The coffee cake turned out well. It made the tube pan plus a teensy loaf plan, which I brought to work for a special treat. It was moist but not overly so. The streudel turned out a bit too moist. Next time I'll cut back on the OJ concentrate.

Which brand of yogurt starter did you use this time?

It was just the Safeway generic brand in an 8oz carton!
th.gif
I'd been usign organic before. Maybe my starter wasn't very good. This one was gorgeous & perfect. I didn't even add powdered milk.

My favorite thing about making my own yogurt, besides eating it, is inspiring awe in people because I can heat milk & leave it out on the counter.​

I can heat milk & leave it out on the counter

I love how people think you have magic powers when you say you make your own yogurt. LOL​

The other day, I made some rhubarb sauce to go over ice-cream. Well, yesterday I took some of the leftovers and had some with the yogurt. Oh my! It was sooooo delicious with the yogurt!

Rhubarb Sauce

2 T. butter
4 cups sliced rhubarb (some thinner slices, some thicker to provide texture) *
1/2 cup + 2 T sugar (or to taste, depending on the tartness of your rhubarb) **
1 t. vanilla extract

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add the rhubarb and sugar. Stir for 5 - 10 minutes until rhubarb is softened. (The thickness of your slices and the tenderness of the rhubarb will determine the length of cooking time). Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.

Serve warm over ice cream, cold over yogurt.

* Or, if you prefer, use 3 cups of rhubarb and 1 cup of sliced strawberries.

** The original recipe called for a bit less sugar, but the added 2 T helped with the slightly more tart flavor of the yogurt vs. the ice-cream.

OHHHHH, I am sooooo excited!!! I got my rennet enzymes and citric acid in the mail yesterday and I just went and picked up 2 gallons of farm fresh milk!!! It will be cheese day tomorrow. I cant believe it when we went to pick the milk up from our local farmer she only wanted $1.50 per gallon!!!! I pay anywhere from $3.40 to $3.70 at the store... I think I am just going to start buy it from her from now one. I gave her $5 for the 2 gallons, that is still a dollar cheeper a gallon the the stores. We drink on an average of 1 to 2 gallons a day.. That would be at least a savings of $365 a year. I cant believe how little the farmers get and how much of a mark up. Boy I cant wait to make the cheese though!!! Jenn

My 2 yr old drank nearly a quart of milk when I brought home farm fresh milk yesterday. He couldn't get enough. I made yogurt, kefir, buttermilk, skimmed the cream and have some left for ice cream and drinking.

Miss P. is there a recipe on here for homemade ice cream with the raw milk? What do I use? Do I skim the cream off the top for the ice cream or use the milk part? We are big ice cream eaters here and my dh will think he has died and gone to heaven. I have an ice cream maker but would love to make it from fresh milk.

The recipe index for this thread is now on page one at the top of the original post.
smile.png

OH, I caught you when you weren't looking and slipped one in
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom