Homesteaders

Pics
I have a coop that has the front entirely open to the run. The chickens don't seem to mind it. The only thought I have is that I worry when the wind picks up the bedding goes flying everywhere and the chickens don't have shelter except for huddling to the side. I have been considering putting a partial wall up just to help with the problem. It is always better to be totally prepared before you get them. Mine was finished AFTER I got them and still needs a few things done. Best wishes!

My hoops are covered with tarps. The front in the winter is covered with fleece. The back door with nothing but the loose tarp this past winter. No heat and they seemed fine. The front of the run was not covered except half way up to keep snow out. I have other hoops covered with tarps and the fronts covered with recycled feed bags.

I have been wanting to homestead our little piece of land for a while now. I will be working my way through all this thread over the next few days, looks like lots of good info. We have just about 2 1/2 acres but most of it is a ravine so now sure how to use it.

I have been wanting to homestead our little piece of land for a while now. I will be working my way through all this thread over the next few days, looks like lots of good info. We have just about 2 1/2 acres but most of it is a ravine so now sure how to use it.

Certainly you can Terrace it ? Part of my garden is on a hill. I put in some stakes to hold the raised beds and planted garlic one year and tomatoes another. I've scored some composite lumber to replace the wooden beds. Then they won't rot out and need to be replaced. The first two pictures are before spring clean up. The last is the bed that had black plastic, planted with Okra. I'm a big advocate for raised bed gardening. I don't own a tiller so it's easier for me. Plus it makes planting and watering much easier. The cans you see around the base of the Okra plants make for faster watering. I just fill each can and I'm done. I also believe the cans help keep the soil warm as they are heated by the sun.

You of course may need something more substantial but it can be done.

Last edited:
Certainly you can Terrace it ? Part of my garden is on a hill. I put in some stakes to hold the raised beds and planted garlic one year and tomatoes another. I've scored some composite lumber to replace the wooden beds. Then they won't rot out and need to be replaced. The first two pictures are before spring clean up. The last is the bed that had black plastic, planted with Okra. I'm a big advocate for raised bed gardening. I don't own a tiller so it's easier for me. Plus it makes planting and watering much easier. The cans you see around the base of the Okra plants make for faster watering. I just fill each can and I'm done. I also believe the cans help keep the soil warm as they are heated by the sun.

You of course may need something more substantial but it can be done.

LOVE the pics. Which was cheaper, the wood 2x4's or the fencing?

LOVE the pics. Which was cheaper, the wood 2x4's or the fencing?

Which fencing. The fencing around the garden is rustic branches from my property and scavenged from the side of the road. I used those green metal pound in stakes to wire thicker branches too and then wired the other branches to the cross bars. I also recycled wire from bales of straw I purchased.

In front of the branch pickets is 2' chicken wire to keep the chickens out.

The white plastic I had purchased years ago before it became so expensive. Now you pay the same price for one panel that I paid for four many years ago. I used it to keep ground hogs out.

I also recycle cardboard boxes, laying them between the beds during the winter. This gives me a head start on the weeds, which I weed whack to keep in check. Weeding the beds is easy since the soil is not packed down. I have also used wood shavings and straw for mulch too.

Another thing I like about raised beds is I can add more each year if I wish. What you see here is about three or four years worth of work.

I used 2x 6', 8's, 10's , 12's pieces purchased at Home Depot. They're usually 48" long. But I measure and cut them to equal size. Either 2' X 4' or 4' x 4'. Manageable sized beds for me. I fill them with chicken coop cleanings, horse manure and bags of top or garden soil. This year I've started two compost piles. You can of course use what ever you choose.

Oh I guess I can see now that they are plastic. Yeah those are probably expensive. I just like the clean look to them. 2x4's are traditional and I guess they are popular for a reason so I suppose I will work with them. I scavenged some from a shut down construction site awhile back. They had been sitting there for years and I cant sand them because they are old. Will they work or should I get new?

Oh I guess I can see now that they are plastic. Yeah those are probably expensive. I just like the clean look to them. 2x4's are traditional and I guess they are popular for a reason so I suppose I will work with them. I scavenged some from a shut down construction site awhile back. They had been sitting there for years and I cant sand them because they are old. Will they work or should I get new?

I know that Cedar is best but I have to work with what I can afford. At HD each board was 51 cents.

You can of course use different things. I've seen sand filled burlap bags and bales of hay or straw used for the side walls.

I'm not sure why you'd want to sand them. If they are rough cut lumber it won't matter. As long as there is not treatment or paint on them they should be fine. 2x 4's are perfectly okay. I used the wider/taller boards so I have less bending to do. Plus I couldn't dig the soil cuz it was hard fill and had a lot of tarvia in it. So being advised I put in raised beds. Being deeper the roots don't go down into the hard fill.

I also laid black plastic down first.

I found a local sawmill that rough cut me 12 pieces of 10' x 10" x 2" of Tamarac wood and it was cheaper than buying finished lumber at HD or Lowes. Tamarac is naturally resistant to rot and will last longer than cedar. Black Walnut is another alternative. Check locally to see if you can find a local sawmill.

Rancher,
Your garden looks very good! One question - how do you keep the deer out? I have tried many things, but they are outsmarting me so far...........
hmm.png
I plan to do 2x4's at each bed corner next year and run snow fencing overtop and chicken wire around the bottom - any other suggestions (other than shooting them)? Sue

Back
Top Bottom